Electric fuel pump wiring (Novice alert!)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ben50
80-90 Mem No: 5298

Re: Electric fuel pump wiring (Novice alert!)

Post by ben50 »

Cheers, yes it still has the electronic ignition, but the idling stabiliser has been removed. I'll double check that the plugs are connected together properly and then do the test you suggested.

bigherb wrote:Turn the ignition on then scrap the paper clip along a metal part of the engine you should get spark from the HT lead. If you do get a spark then it is a distributor fault. No spark then it is an ignition amplifier/wiring fault.

when you say turn the ignition on do you mean to the first point or to cranking the engine?

Thanks again for all your help ;o)
Cheers, Ben
RHD German import 2L CU microbus, slowly becoming a not so rusty camper with a GTI engine

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

First point, just the ignition lights on.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow.
RHD German import 2L CU microbus, slowly becoming a not so rusty camper with a GTI engine

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Just done the scrape test and got a spark, the fuel pump also buzzed for a moment too. So that points to the distributor? the chap that fitted the carbs for me said that he had had to adjust the timing (can't remember if it was advanced or retarded now) because the distributor shaft?? was worn, he also said it would be no problem, but that it may be prudent to replace if i was having trouble keeping the engine idling.

Is it best to replace the whole distributor - as it's worn?
I'm not sure which type it should be only that it shouldn't be replaced with a 009!

Cheers,

Ben

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Take the cap off and see if the distributor shaft is turning first, it may not have been seated down properly.

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Cheers, I'll try that this evening when I'm back from work.
Sorry if this is asking the obvous but is it a case of popping the cap off and getting a helper to turn the key to turn the engine over whilst I see if the distributer shaft is turning?
Will the shaft turn with the cap off?

Cheers,

Ben

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

ben50 wrote: Sorry if this is asking the obvous but is it a case of popping the cap off and getting a helper to turn the key to turn the engine over whilst I see if the distributer shaft is turning?
Will the shaft turn with the cap off?
Yes.
The distributor may have ridden up when as it was turned when the timing was adjusted.

ben50

Post by ben50 »

cool, I'll check tonigh, Thanks ;o)

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Just checked and the distributor shaft turns when cranking the engine. :-(

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Does this point to the hall sender, the ignition control unit and the associated wiring?

Might I be better off just replacing it all with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130595742847? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120822373506? ... 1423.l2649

We're meant to be going away in it for the upcoming bank holiday weekend, and I don't fancy a repeat of the last one - we ended up being towed home and having to take the car and awning instead the following day ;o(

Cheers,

Ben

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Well it is all saying to me that the whole fuel pump thing may be both a red herring and a white elephant. Seems lack of spark may have been the problem all along. I'd replace dizzy with the powerspark/simonbbc svda unit and do away with ignition amp and loom etc. Simple and reliable.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Cool, cheers for the reply.

is that the right distributor? I don't need a different vacuum one?

Presumably I'll be needing to get the timing done again or is there a way of matching the distributor up to the old one?

Cheers,

Ben

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Before you go to far check you have more than 5V across the two outside pins of the three pin distributor plug with the ignition switched on. If you haven't the there may be a bad connection in the bypassed idling stabiliser plug.

ben50 wrote:Does this point to the hall sender, the ignition control unit and the associated wiring?

Might I be better off just replacing it all with these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130595742847? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120822373506? ... 1423.l2649

We're meant to be going away in it for the upcoming bank holiday weekend, and I don't fancy a repeat of the last one - we ended up being towed home and having to take the car and awning instead the following day ;o(

Cheers,

Ben

The distributor will work as long as you still have a vacuum advance connected. Ideally you would be better off with the original type distributor or fit a new Hall sender unit.
Your coil or the one you linked to won't work you will need a standard coil as fitted to points ignition like a Bosch blue coil.

Not actually sure what's been going on with the distributor, what part was worn for it to need adjusting?

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Hi, cheers, just been out and checked the voltage across the two outer pins and I'm getting 11.5v would that point to a hall sender issue? Could I have shorted it when connecting the relay etc up?

I've already ordered the coil and distributor i linked to, I figure the worst case i could carry them as spares in case i get stranded and I can maybe limp along!

I'm going to ring the garage that fitted the carbs for me tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to talk to the chap that said that the distributor needed replacing - it was something about having to either retard or advance the timing so the engine could idle better? but that doesn't really make much sense to me.

Cheers,

Ben

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Hi, I rang the garage yesterday but the chap I needed to talk to was busy at the time and they didn't get back to me, but i did discover this amongst the mounting van invoices:

not sure if that is enough info to explain though, I'll try to get in touch with them again today!

Cheers,

Ben