Hooking up a portable solar panel

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Hooking up a portable solar panel

Post by sweetaswesty »

I've noticed on some photos and videos that it's possible to run a cable and connection for a portable solar panel into the van through the ac power inlet box alongside the normal electrical hook up socket - though obviously not connecting with the mains circuit or connected at the same time. Which saves having cables trailing in through doors or windows etc.
Can any one who has done this tell me what kind of plugs/ sockets/ connectors they used? It would need to be a small and compact connection so the box continues to function in the usual way when hooked up to the mains.
Thanks!!

1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Hooking up a portable solar panel

Post by TONYT25T25 »

You could try and extension lead that can be bought with solar panels and leave that in place, but not sure how waterproof/tight it would be, especially with the flap that covers the AC when not in use. Depends on the size of your solar panel, I only use a small one more of a battery conditioner/trickle charger so it can be hung inside a window so all the wiring is internal.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Yes, thanks, I would want a weatherproof connection in there. I’m thinking a 12v hella din socket might work, they can take 20  amps so should be sufficient and they can be weather proof? But I don’t know whether the box would close with that and the hook up gubbins in place.

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

Afternoon
The IP rated solar connections used for domestic and leisure systems are MC4 Connectors. Fleabay has plenty listed.
Battery end I've used a 50v Anderson connector.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

What type of solar panel are you looking for, wattage, waterproof, connectors etc.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks for the replies.
I would be looking for a 100w foldable suitcase panel the kind you can get from from Renogy maybe. I’m not sure whether I would get one with a built in charge controller as I think I might be better getting a separate mppt one. I don’t think I would need a waterproof panel as I’d only use it when the weather was fine.
I’ve thought about fitting a panel on our hardtop but catching the sun would be hit or miss and never happen where it’s usually parked - in almost permanent shade. And with a movable panel we could chase the sun.
Would there be room in the plastic hook up box for a couple of female MC4 connectors do you think? I don’t know how big they are. Is there any reason why using a weatherproof hella din 12v power socket wouldn’t work in there?
Thanks again!

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

This one might be worth a look on Fleabay ? Very very similar to one I bought from Titan Energy but less than half the price.Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks - I’ll have a look!

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

I put an Anderson connector behind my defunct fridge vent now I have a compressor fridge. My folding solar panel plugs into this.
ImageImage
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Thanks Rob, that's a great solution.  
Though as I've decided to fit a compressor fridge also I'm not going to have the fridge hole to repurpose - not wanting to cut another hole is one of the lesser reasons for changing the fridge actually.