Jambo, being tarted up abit

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fugeh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Jambo, being tarted up abit

Post by Fugeh »

Dazco,

This thread is an inspiration - great that the pictures are still up!

How did you go about the engine conversion - did you do it yourself? What sort of costs are involved?

Thanks.
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Hi Fugeh. I'm well pleased all the pics are still here , never thought they would be.
The van is still getting plenty of use and has taken us on lots of adventures including over the channel for trips to Bruges and Amsterdam.
I did the engine conversion myself using Rjes components and wiring loom modifications.
I bought a Subaru Legacy from a local dealer for not alot of money , the bodywork was shot but the engine was sound .
I ran it for a few months prior to stripping it all out just to make sure there were no issues with it.
If I remember correctly the Legacycost around £650 .
I was hoping to sell parts that weren't needed to recover some of the cost but only made around £25 . Shows how reliable and dependable Subarus are .
Everything ectrical on the car worked. Unfortunately lots of parts were binned.
As for Rjes parts you would be better looking at his site for current prices .
I cant fault the quality of his parts and service along with backup when necessary.
The only problem I had with the install was with the clutch not fully disengageing. I still don't know how I sorted it but it's been fine for the last few years .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

After almost 10 years of ownung jambovan and having some great trips in the Uk and Europe, we will be parting later today.
Hopefully she will get another new lease of life with her new owners.
Ive heard lots of people slagging these vans off as unreliable and dated etc etc but in all the time we have been using her she has only let us down once which needed a recovery , that was from about a mile and a half away from home and was a blown coolant pipe near the water pump. The other time was loose connection on the fuel pump. Recovery called but i had sorted it by the time they arrived.
If you maintain them well and look after them they will in return look after you.
We have bought a bigger newer van which will suit our needs better but will always have a spot in our hearts for these vans.
All the best and carry in the great work .
Daz ,Abdrea, holly and poppy.
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Wow.. this thread has lived nearly 10 years. :o

Reading through I love the audience support.. :D

Have a great time...

Cordialement,