Window Tinting

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jim potter
80-90 Mem No: 10094

Re: Window Tinting

Post by jim potter »

I did mine myself last weekend. Not to difficult at all. I even mashed the rear screen in one go.. prep is the key. My total cost was 9.99 . Roll was 6m long and 76cm high , so big enough for all windows. I'll post some pics when I get a mo.
Gti caravelle gl.

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I was under the impression you could not tint the cab door windows but the original poster said he did :?:

faggie

Post by faggie »

you can run tints on your front door windows but you run thr risk of getting points on your licence if it does not alloy 70/75% of light through

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Window Tinting

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Cruz wrote:I was under the impression you could not tint the cab door windows but the original poster said he did :?:
Did he say light smoke? Maybe that's the legal amount/shade? Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

jim potter
80-90 Mem No: 10094

Post by jim potter »

you can no longer have any tint on the front windows .. if you get caught you risk a fine and points .
Gti caravelle gl.

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

jim potter wrote:you can no longer have any tint on the front windows .. if you get caught you risk a fine and points .

"If you get caught" :wink: yes i had the fronts done in a light smoke to stay on the legalish side of rule bending, i think as long as coppers can see you in the front as you go by they'll not trouble ya.
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

When my missus had her mini done the guy doing it said one little trick was to leave a small tab on the top corner then if you did get pulled you would be able to wip the tint off before the plod could get out to even look. Don't know if it would work as she was never pulled
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

This reminds me that I still haven't got a firm answer on the best way to remove the stuff! The cab doors need the dark film removing, but the van keeps getting mot's so must be ok from a legal perspective?

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

silverbullet wrote:This reminds me that I still haven't got a firm answer on the best way to remove the stuff! The cab doors need the dark film removing, but the van keeps getting mot's so must be ok from a legal perspective?

mot isnt law, you still get done for it! peel it off and we use wire wool and window cleaner to get the residue off
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Aberdeenbus
80-90 Mem No: 6846

Post by Aberdeenbus »

Mot is a basic test of road worthiness not that the vehicle complies with all current legislation

It's an all to common mistake

There are no tints I know of that can legally be applied forward of the B post.

And it's also illegal for a company to fit them for you, you can buy them n fit them yourself but you take the risk of being stopped by cop with a tintman then what happens depends on the level of tint.

Cheers

Si

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I'd always considered that the state of the windows to be part of roadworthiness, e.g. if obscured by stickers. Think I'll get busy with the wire wool 'n' vinegar once I am capable of driving again!

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Post by fullsunian »

Aberdeenbus wrote:Mot is a basic test of road worthiness not that the vehicle complies with all current legislation

It's an all to common mistake

There are no tints I know of that can legally be applied forward of the B post.

And it's also illegal for a company to fit them for you, you can buy them n fit them yourself but you take the risk of being stopped by cop with a tintman then what happens depends on the level of tint.

Cheers

Si
Is that right? So why do 'we' (testers) have to test number plates? That is nothing to do with road worthiness, more to do with doing the job of the law :roll:
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

Aberdeenbus

Post by Aberdeenbus »

Yep,
the number plate one is a recent addition away from the old if its not cracked or delaminated to now having to comply with the legal standard.

And look how long they took to bring that in the dvla had been pushing the Dot to get that added for years (nothing to do with the sale of registration marks lol)

Mind you we still stop folk who clearly have two sets of plates one for passing the mot and one for the £60 ticket

Tbh the mot should be way stricter, I've seen vehicles prohibited days after passing an mot

Cheers

Si

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

jim potter wrote:you can no longer have any tint on the front windows .. if you get caught you risk a fine and points .
I'm not disagreeing as I don't know one way or the other, but that would seem a little strange when most new cars have some level of tinting in their glass(windscreen included). I would have thought there was an acceptable level that could be measured. :?
E D I T. Further research brings this up https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aberdeenbus

Post by Aberdeenbus »

There is, front side windows must let 70% visible transmittable light through, now a closed window will not let 100% light through only an open window will do that.

All glass no matter how clear obstructs some light and before we all shout there must be a tint that you can apply that will still keep you legal, In years of testing the stuff I and the many folk who sell it have yet to find it.

In a tint meter your average car window reads in the 80s %age wise and no one makes a tint that only stops 10%, a 10% tint you see on line only lets in 10%.

I’ve seen some advertised, but when asked to prove it the makers strangely back away from it being applied to a window and tested.
One day someone might make a tint you can apply to a front window legally, I’ve yet to see it.

Not to say I won’t one day, just not seen it yet

Cheers
Si