Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by CovKid »

Yup, as a way of protecting the body from the ravages of the weather its hard to beat, and it doesn't fade so I've found.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

GTIAlex
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by GTIAlex »

Does anyone have a link to the before and after topic that i've seen mentioned on here.
Want to roller the van but the other half needs some convincing

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Errrr, is somebody going to congratulate Ralph on the page number we're at with this thread? Quite a following you got there chap, well done. :ok
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I'm just delighted it has transformed so many campers, particularly where its a family on limited means. Few, including me (I'm a single Dad) can justify the thousands needed for a spray job. Anyone who has rollered will tell you that when the mix is right and the technique mastered, you can do whole areas that are almost flawless. Mine has been on at least 9 years now and I do need to replace a few panels but matching it in afterwards will be so easy. With a spray job (nice as it is), any subsequent repair work means a costly revisit to the spray shop. It just gets silly. You never get your investment back.

I've sent videos to Norway, Italy, Austalia and the US and after nine years I find myself parking up to other rollered campers at events. I say nothing
Any money I make on the DVD (and its not much) helps pay for fuel to take my lad away in the summer :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

sunluvva

Post by sunluvva »

Does anyone know if Rawlins or anyone else can mix the rustoleum combi colours to a colour not on the chart. Or if not does anyone know if they make tester pots. Thanks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Last I heard, yes they do.

williamkay

Post by williamkay »

So, I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I already have a big tin of Hammerite smooth dark blue, and it most closely matches my van colour so I would like to use it. Would I follow the DVD instructions as if I was using rustoleum? Are there any MAJOR reasons why I should not attempt this? Should I just return it and try and match Rustoleum?
Will - 1.9 Petrol/LPG T25 Watercooled Caravelle 78PS Hi-Top

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I wouldn't use Hammerite, it's a totally different animal to Rustoleum.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Post by crazyhorse »

Quick question guys and galls,

Painting inside the van, is it the same principle, sand back etc paint with foam brush or normal paint brush.

Do I have to go and put 3 coats on, or would 1 be enough for inside??
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Inside doesn't really need 3 coats - just enough to cover thats all. Yup. foam brushes or soft paint brush.

Reverend

Post by Reverend »

Here is the Syncro i painted some time ago, its road legal now :)
Attachments
dada.jpg
dada.jpg (118.28 KiB) Viewed 40560 times
-89 4x4 panelvan 1.6td
-90 2wd Caravelle Coach 1.6td
-87 4x4 Caravelle GL Syncro 2.1wbx
+ 10 more

MikeS56

Post by MikeS56 »

I am in the middle of roller painting a T2 Bay, Cream RAL9001 on top and Claret Violet RAL4004 on the bottom. The Cream worked well once I got the thinning right, about 15% to 20%. The roller created an even coat with small bubbles which I then brushed out very lightly to give a pretty smooth coat when dry. Brush marks flowed out before it started to skin.

But the Claret, which is going over Red, is proving much more difficult. I can't seem to get the thinning right. If I thin it about 15% it's so thin it hardly covers the previous red. It also won't bubble but just rolls on very thin and then smears when I try to brush to out. It also runs very badly.

Thinning about 10% gives slightly better coverage and less runs, but the roller still smears without bubbles and brushing out just leaves serious brush marks that I have to Dry Sand before the next coat.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Are you following the video Mike?

jamesakers
80-90 Mem No: 14421

Post by jamesakers »

First thin coat of L90D on, already looks 100 times better!

Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Looking good!

I'm looking to do mine in the near future. Due to time constraints, and having no indoor storage... I'm contemplating doing a section/side at a time. Would this be a good idea... or am I just asking for trouble...? (i.e. slightly different colour matches, different finishes etc.) It's just one hell of a big job to do in one go!
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker