Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

glasshopper
80-90 Mem No: 9334

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by glasshopper »

Hello,

I am at the end of putting my van back together after fixing the bodywork and repainting with Rustoleum.
However I used a satin finish of the Rustoleum Combicolor and it seems incredibly easy to scratch it. I am sure it is well cured, although maybe not fully, I am on the south coast and the van has been sat in all this hot weather for the last few weeks.

Has anyone experienced the same with the Gloss version of the paint - I spotted the gloss has a slightly higher solids content in volume - Gloss: 53-57%; Satin: 48-52%

It has been a lot of work and the finish is good but the ease with which it can be scratched is a bit distressing.
I have not polished or waxed the van!

Any advice will be appreciated.
Tx.
T25 1984 Petrol 1.9 DG - Pierburg 2E3

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Post by Cyrus »

Cyrus wrote:Getting there

Wow it was 5 years ago since I painted my camper blue, it's looking a sorry state ATM. I need to do a whole load of body work, mainly around the windows as they're rusting and ns wheel arch/sliding door runner. I've just managed to get her through the MOT since the previous one was done two years ago (6 month covid extension) now I need to get back at it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

bmakins wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 10:00 I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies for asking it again if so. Has anyone had their van professionally resprayed, some time after painting it with combicolor? Did the combicolor cause any issues/extra expense? Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I hvlp sprayed mine with rustoleum 5 or 6 years ago.  It needs to be redone new because I didn't put enough coats on at the time, so rust is showing through in places, especially on edges where the paint was really thin.  I've started on the front panel and sanded down the rusty areas and treated them with acid.  I didn't remove all of the rustoleum as most of it was ok - I just scuffed it up with a red scotchbrite pad and then degreased with some panel wipe.
Then I sprayed the whole thing with about 3 decent coats of two pack Lechler epoxy primer.  Happy to report that there were no issues.  It didn't react with the rustoleum at all.  The primer I used is Lechler 29107.  I'm going to scuff up the epoxy primer with scotchbrite and  HVLP spray it with rustoleum 3:1 with white spirit - will try to put on three coats all at once, leaving maybe 45 minutes betweek coats for the white spirit to evaporate a bit.

1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

bmakins
80-90 Mem No: 17243

Post by bmakins »

boatbuilder wrote:
bmakins wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 10:00 I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies for asking it again if so. Has anyone had their van professionally resprayed, some time after painting it with combicolor? Did the combicolor cause any issues/extra expense? Cheers

I hvlp sprayed mine with rustoleum 5 or 6 years ago.  It needs to be redone new because I didn't put enough coats on at the time, so rust is showing through in places, especially on edges where the paint was really thin.  I've started on the front panel and sanded down the rusty areas and treated them with acid.  I didn't remove all of the rustoleum as most of it was ok - I just scuffed it up with a red scotchbrite pad and then degreased with some panel wipe.
Then I sprayed the whole thing with about 3 decent coats of two pack Lechler epoxy primer.  Happy to report that there were no issues.  It didn't react with the rustoleum at all.  The primer I used is Lechler 29107.  I'm going to scuff up the epoxy primer with scotchbrite and  HVLP spray it with rustoleum 3:1 with white spirit - will try to put on three coats all at once, leaving maybe 45 minutes betweek coats for the white spirit to evaporate a bit.

That's really good to know. I still haven't got round to painting mine, but it is sat in epoxy (same lechler you're using) ready to go, so that pretty much seals the deal for using combicolor for me.

I'd also be interested to know how you get on with spraying the 3 coats of combicolor in quick succession. Are you planning to use heat lamps to get it to harden through?

1987 T25 Caravelle EJ22

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Just make sure you have a good thickness in your epoxy primer. A lot easier to do it now!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

albertramsbottom
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5813

Post by albertramsbottom »

Been looking at this thread and have a couple of questions

Firstly it very old and many of the links do not work. I have a Mercedes 614D as well as a t25 and want to hand paint them. Now this thread seems to focus on Rustoleum Combicolor. Now I have to say that the colours in the chart are not ones that I want to use rather I would like to choose a RAL from the following colours but want to know whether I can just order a RAL colour in Rustoleum and it be suitable to use? As these are not described as combi colours

I also want a matt colour and I am not sure these in my link would be matt or not or whether I could get them in matt?

https://www.brewers.co.uk/colourcards/r ... %20Colours

Any ideas
Many thanks
2ltr 1982 Aircooled

Street Decals
Vinyl FX Graphics
Design, Creation and application of leading edge vinyl graphics.
Vehicle signage, windows, and decals
http://www.streetdecals.co.uk

jigarai
80-90 Mem No: 16876

Post by jigarai »

(E D I T- just noted an earlier comment from Covid saying you can’t roller paint with the matt like you can with the gloss.)

Hi Albert- I have just done the roof of my t25 in ral3005 from here:

rawlins paints

They have a range of colours and seem to offer a matt option on the drop down….
Last edited by jigarai on 10 Apr 2022, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Caravelle. 16v GTi. 4 speed, manual. LHD (US import)

jigarai

Post by jigarai »

Here are a couple of pictures. I thought I’d do the roof first as an exploration then work around the van section by section.

Took in total around 25 hours with prep and paint to do it. I ummed and ahhed about filling the dents in the cross bits of the roof that you can see… Figured they’re hardly going to get noticed unless you look down from above as per the photo!!

The factory colour is Marsala Red - I used RAL 3005 (wine red) which is pretty close - a hint more purple which I actually really like now it’s on.

Time to wait the suggested few weeks then flat back and do a second coat.

Given how scruffy my van is I’m very pleased with the result - especially as one who has no prior experience of this kind of thing!

ImageImage

jigarai

Post by jigarai »

Paint prices April 2022:

for 2.5l RAL3005:

Avenue Coatings £55.13 (vat and UK mainland delivery included) Their paint sales website is: https://tools-paint.com/

Rawlins Paints: £64.33 (vat and UK mainland delivery included)

*what I have learned: read the forum - I bought the dvd download and watched it through a few times, read the initial posts here and the pdf guide over a few times.

Reading recent posts would have saved me some money especially with the nugget that Avenue coatings do a discount for us club 80-90ers! I believe they also mix any colour you want too…

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mike9009 »

ImageImage

Just started work whilst the van is off the road waiting for the gearbox to be done.  First day of prep.

The van had been roller painted approx 15 years ago and had loss any gloss and needs a few running repairs.  To be honest, I was expecting the bodywork behind the bumpers and other nooks and crannies to be far worse. But touch wood no horror stories yet.....

BIggest faff was getting the bumper end caps off as the fixings had rusted solid. So hack sawed them off with new stainless bolts coming. I do wonder if the current fixings were a little sacrificial because they were so bad......

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

First coat has gone on this weekend. Maybe a little cold but about 14 degrees during the painting.

I was a little apprehensive, but cracked on. First mix of paint was maybe a little thick. The second batch was a little thin. Seemed quite difficult to mix with the white spirit and the consistency was patchy. The thin batch gave far more problems with air bubbles but managed to work most of them out.

A few tips with obvious hindsight.

1. If the end of the foam on the roller drops off, don't continue with the remaining bit. Little bits of foam all over the place.
2. If you notice a few air bubbles having painted a panel, don't be tempted to rework them after ten minutes. I ruined a large section by trying to rework a section which had already started to skin over. Some major rework there in a couple of weeks.
3. Don't be tempted to rework some areas already painted with a very dilute paint and brush. It will look awful and start running.

Basically, after five minutes or so, what you have got, you have got and you won't be able to make it better.

However, it was relatively easy and the gloss has returned already without any flatting back. Just worried I might go through the first coat on edges when flatting back. Couple of pictures so far.....

Arrgggghhhh....the reworked patch

This morning in the rain, some nice beading

mike9009

Post by mike9009 »

Continuing saga but I am happy! Quick question though. As you will see from my previous posts my van was originally Marlin Blue which is now a discontinued colour in Rustoleum. So, I have paid for it to be custom mixed again.

First coat went on as well as can be expected. I have flattened back and applied a second coat. Second coat went far better having learnt from the first coat. I reckon in places I now have about five coats but some areas only one / two coats where I needed to get at rust and fill etc.

The finish looks glossy but with an orange peel effect all over. Question - will this polish back with about 1000 - 1500 grit wet and dry, then a dual action polish? Does this look normal and reasonable? Thanks

Danoid

Post by Danoid »

Hello, I’m planning on using rust oleum combi colour on a rear axle beam on a car.

Do I still need to use thinner? I’ll be brushing it on.

I’ll be honest I’ve never had to use thinners ever so sorry if this is a silly question.

If I do need thinner, is it like 100ml paint and 10ml thinner?

I’m hoping I can get away with literally opening the can and brush it on, but I want it to last :D

Many thanks

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

You only need thinners to make the paint runny enough to be sprayed.

For brushing on - No, thinners will not be needed.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

putridi

Post by putridi »

I'm painting my t25 hardtop does anyone know if 5Ltr will be enough for 3-4 coats all over including the inside of drivers doors ?