Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by what2do »

Cheers for the reply, I plan on leaving a couple of days before the second coat as I don't want the first one to become 'live' as I'm applying the second one.

Fingers crossed. I'll report back in a week or two.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Just a question that I've been searching for the answer to....

How solvent resistant is rustoleum?

For example if you were sticking carpet on with Evostik, would the evostik just turn the Rustoleum into mush?
Or another place that that could happen would be if you were gluing a headlining onto the lip of the front window etc...
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

acw
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by acw »

Hi as i have found out to my cost evostick type glues do remove rustolium that is 48hrs old.
it only removed the paint when i tried to wipe the glue off and looked ok on the parts i didn't wipe and left it to dry.

i would guess it would be ok on older paint that has had time to harden.

cheers

Andy
1982 air cooled 2L T25 manual Autosleeper

Andy

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Most paints can be affected by other chemicals if they're not fully cured. 48 hours and the paint is definately still soft even if its skinned.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Post by Cyrus »

Are these any good to get a smooth finish on body filler?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291064617474?redirect=mobile

steveo3002
80-90 Mem No: 17509

Post by steveo3002 »

yes that would be ideal for larger areas of filler
88 polo , 89 golf gti16v , 91 golf g60

danhero
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by danhero »

CovKid wrote:Bluebussler - get the DVD, its cheap enough and covers the prep. http://www.9dartshop.com/car_roller_painting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discipleofsketch. Yes over white will be fine. Red actually goes better on a yellow primer. You just may find you need a minimum of three coats to obliterate the white.

As an aside, yesterday I drew level with a transporter lorry with brand new hatchbacks onboard. I forget the make but my roller coat was way better. :D

Hi CovKid,
I've read all 182 pages...Pheww!! Just like to say what a fantastic thread you've created here and your very frequent and generous help to people. If this is an indication of the community as a whole, then i'm very glad of my recent purchase of a T25.

I'd really like to buy the DVD you made, but when I clicked to buy, the address could not be found?? Is it still available?

Many thanks,

Dan

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You have PM
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

Yet again what a brilliant thread, I must buy the DVD , anyway I decided, or the mighty rust decided that I need to start practicing bodywork. So I chose the nearest colour I thought my van was, bearing in mind that it had a rebuild and colour change well before I bought her, so RAL 3020 was ordered. Going of this thread I added my thinners, and started behind the front bumper , which I have removed due to my Lower front panel starting to blister, imagine my surprise when it is exactly the same colour, . The van must have been sprayed years ago with the same colour, or I am dam lucky. As I am changing my big front bumper to a steel small one, I will practise my rollering technique on this first, will post some pics when I have finished,

Budgie
2.1 Caravelle Auto

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Quick question. I am sure it will have been covered ^^^ but I ain't reading all 182 pages :lol: Does Rustoleum brush on OK? (for small areas, not panels ;))

I am planning to do some tidying up in the engine bay and some to the internal metalwork, like the cab bits of the "A" pillars and some around the inside of the van bits of the sliding door, so a small brush ok ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

ghost123uk wrote:Quick question. I am sure it will have been covered ^^^ but I ain't reading all 182 pages :lol: Does Rustoleum brush on OK? (for small areas, not panels ;))

I am planning to do some tidying up in the engine bay and some to the internal metalwork, like the cab bits of the "A" pillars and some around the inside of the van bits of the sliding door, so a small brush ok ?
I tried with a small brush yesterday, at the lower edge of my front panel, where it is very difficult to get at with a roller and it worked well and smoothed out very well, but will try with a roller today on my bumper
2.1 Caravelle Auto

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

Hi

I'd like a copy of get DVD but as mentioned above link not working

I await your reply :ok
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

ghost123uk wrote:Quick question. I am sure it will have been covered ^^^ but I ain't reading all 182 pages :lol: Does Rustoleum brush on OK? (for small areas, not panels ;))

I've done my rear inner arches (3coats) and other areas using a brush. I loaded it on, no thinner, without worrying about the finish yet you still can't see any brush marks. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised john.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

sternal
80-90 Mem No: 13349

Post by sternal »

quick question !

once I've done my 2 coats and in-between flattening back with wet/dry what is the final process ? apply last coat of paint and then what ? (3 coats total)

1. wait for it to dry and then polish ? with what ?
2 sand it down and then polish ?
3 none of the above ?

sorry for my ignorance here !
1.7 KY diesel ex Deutsche Post van

steveo3002
80-90 Mem No: 17509

Post by steveo3002 »

depends how nice you want it

let it dry out thouroughly and wax it to protect it if youre happy how it looks

if your more fussy sand out any peel and dust nibs with 1500/2000 wet n dry then machine polish and wax
88 polo , 89 golf gti16v , 91 golf g60