Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bicolour
80-90 Mem No: 11351

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by bicolour »

Coming along now
donald the Dub
1982 2.0l cu devon

nin73
80-90 Mem No: 12406

Post by nin73 »

I have painted my camper, looks great but it shopws up the high top now.

Can i paint the high top section with the Rustoleum? If so i take it i just wet and dry the top to get a good key for the paint?
1988 High Top. 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Exactly :D

Rustoleum works on almost any surface including glass fibre and aluminium providing you key it first.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

clinning
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clinning »

Any advice to protect from petrol? Spilt a bit yesterday and it flaked off.
1984 Devon 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If it flaked of it wasn't properly keyed. Once hard, Rustoleum isn't bothered about petrol.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

clinning

Post by clinning »

Oh it was keyed all right. The petrol just are through it
1984 Devon 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

The only reason I say that is I've never had an issue with petrol on the paint around petrol filler and I often spill a bit of petrol around there. Fresh paint might be different though I suppose.

Lethagized

Post by Lethagized »

Hello ladies & Gentlemen. First post here. I stumbled upon this site after googling rusoleum and T25. I've read the excellent guide, but have only one question for now. What is the most suitable electric sander for wet sanding the vehicle? I already have an orbital sander, but it has a dust extraction bag on it, so obviously not suitable for use with wet sanding. It only takes very course velcro backed sand paper and i can't get any fine grit Wet&dry paper for it, so i assume i need a sander where you can cut your own cheap poundland paper up and clamp it on the sander using the clips on the machine itself.

I was looking at this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 782/p29552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this be ok with wet sanding? I know it has dust extraction, but i guess if there isn't any holes in the paper, then it won't suck any water into the machine, but i'm not certain if any water would still creep into it. Can anyone vouch for this type of sander, or can anyone guide me to where i can get a suitable sander for wet sanding?

Many thanks

Rob

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Lethagized wrote:Hello ladies & Gentlemen. First post here. I stumbled upon this site after googling rusoleum and T25. I've read the excellent guide, but have only one question for now. What is the most suitable electric sander for wet sanding the vehicle? I already have an orbital sander, but it has a dust extraction bag on it, so obviously not suitable for use with wet sanding. It only takes very course velcro backed sand paper and i can't get any fine grit Wet&dry paper for it, so i assume i need a sander where you can cut your own cheap poundland paper up and clamp it on the sander using the clips on the machine itself.

I was looking at this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 782/p29552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would this be ok with wet sanding? I know it has dust extraction, but i guess if there isn't any holes in the paper, then it won't suck any water into the machine, but i'm not certain if any water would still creep into it. Can anyone vouch for this type of sander, or can anyone guide me to where i can get a suitable sander for wet sanding?

Many thanks

Rob
IMHO, 240V and water dont mix unless you have a piece of kit specifically designed for the job which is why professionals use air tools. I would think you are far better off using a cordless sander - the low voltage of the batteries would be much safer but I would still try and use one without a dust extract or try and block off the holes otherwise water will inevitably get into the motor.
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

hawkeye
80-90 Mem No: 11485

Post by hawkeye »

Couple of questions which I am not sure of , firstly the colour chart , I cannot clearly see the ral numbers or the different shades of white available , I am looking for a white close to the original T25 colour which seems like an ivory , I don't want a really bright brilliant white , secondly the rollers and sponge
brushes , I have looked in my local pound shop and they do not have the rollers marked as high density foam , are they available elsewhere also applies to the sponge brushes ?
I have tried printing off the colour chart but was no clearer to my eyes even with glasses .
By the way I do not want an exact match but I see there are a few shades of white listed on the chart and I would just like advise from others who have used the white colours ?
:ok

Jas1977
80-90 Mem No: 13604

Post by Jas1977 »

hawkeye wrote:Couple of questions which I am not sure of , firstly the colour chart , I cannot clearly see the ral numbers or the different shades of white available , I am looking for a white close to the original T25 colour which seems like an ivory , I don't want a really bright brilliant white , secondly the rollers and sponge
brushes , I have looked in my local pound shop and they do not have the rollers marked as high density foam , are they available elsewhere also applies to the sponge brushes ?
I have tried printing off the colour chart but was no clearer to my eyes even with glasses .
By the way I do not want an exact match but I see there are a few shades of white listed on the chart and I would just like advise from others who have used the white colours ?
:ok

Hi,

From what I have researched so far its suggested that you don't use pound shop rollers - just the handles and trays so that you can throw them away instead of cleaning them up. Ditch the the actual roller sponge bit that comes with them and buy good quality high density gloss rollers from somewhere like B&Q - I actually found some in my local hardware shop.

No idea on the white colours but be interest in a reply to this too as im deciding on colour at the moment. A lot of prep still to do get though! So hopefully someone else will be able to help on that bit.

Oh im sure B&Q etc will do the sponge brushes too.

Good luck and be good to see the results when your done or even the progress as you go! :ok

neil3965
80-90 Mem No: 5726

Post by neil3965 »

Hi guys

I tried a couple of RAL whites when looking for paint for my Pastel White van (VW code L90D) - none were close enough for my taste, either too white or too pinkish.

However, Avenue Coatings (mentioned above) have L90D on their system, so was able to order from them - perfect match!

hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

neil3965 wrote:Hi guys

I tried a couple of RAL whites when looking for paint for my Pastel White van (VW code L90D) - none were close enough for my taste, either too white or too pinkish.

However, Avenue Coatings (mentioned above) have L90D on their system, so was able to order from them - perfect match!
I have messaged "chickenkoop " on here to ask which RAL number white he used on his T25 but I don't think he has been on the forum for a while , wonder if "corvkid" would know ?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Doubt he'll remember now as he's gone through several campers since. If memory serves me right, it was an ivory white but no idea which number. The very white Rustoleum shades really ARE white, so bear that in mind.

hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

CovKid wrote:Doubt he'll remember now as he's gone through several campers since. If memory serves me right, it was an ivory white but no idea which number. The very white Rustoleum shades really ARE white, so bear that in mind.
That's why I thought his looked about a close to mine , I don't want a BrIlliant white type , anybody else tried the Ivory white please let me know the ral number asap :ok