Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ladybugsdad
80-90 Mem No: 12124

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by ladybugsdad »

its looking good from where I am sitting , compared to mine anyway :ok

ladybugsdad
80-90 Mem No: 12124

Post by ladybugsdad »

its looking good from where I am sitting , compared to mine anyway :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

That colour is real nice Trundler. Like a ripe cherry.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

fatfrosty1966
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by fatfrosty1966 »

update on my earlier post,thanks to a fellow vdubber on ebay.i secured 2.5 litres of pastel turqoise ral 6034 for the sum of 20 quid including post to me!!bargain will start the prep process this weekend and hope to be painting in a couple of weeks time weather permitting!!!

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

Good luck fatfrosty! :ok

Cheers ladybugsdad and CovKid, I like the colour too. I'm glad I switched from the "purple red" which wasn't very purple at all. My other half is less convinced but she's coming round a bit as more of the van gets done. It's front wheel-arches and cab doors this weekend (weather permitting). Wheel-arches need some work so the wire brush and Vactan will be out in force :) and the doors are in good nick so should be easy to prep. Painting them and the shut lines will surely throw up some challenges though... Still, that's what makes it fun! :lol:
1987 Type25 Transporter Syncro 2.1DJ
+ some other less important vehicles...
80-90 member no. 2998

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You should now have a feel for it. Don't be surprised if you don't get a complete panel that is almost flawless. Once the mix is right and your technique matches it, you'll get faster at it too. Spending too long anywhere is not to be encouraged. As long as you know that, you should be able to whip round it in no time. Enjoy. :D

Take as much time as is actually needed to deal with corrosion or it will only come back. The good thing (as you'll discover) is if you do need to touch something up later - it will match as Rustoleum has very good anti-fade properties.

Also, its not crucial to flat and polish. Many are more than happy with the finish they get. I was to be honest. Mine has been on 6 years so possibly needs a revisit here and there but its kept problems at bay, the weather out, and lots of cheery waves have followed. What more can you ask for.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Ian T
80-90 Mem No: 7965

Post by Ian T »

Hi

Searched most of the thread but can't find info - dim question but I am going to use either satin or matte black on my van. Would I still have to flat back between coats?
Cheers

Ian

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Ian T wrote:Hi

Searched most of the thread but can't find info - dim question but I am going to use either satin or matte black on my van. Would I still have to flat back between coats?

Yep, especially with matte as you'll want a super smooth layer to paint on or any roller mark will show through.

chuckle-bus-tom

Just flatted mine back after 3 years! Since I painted it back in 2010 there have been seams ground out and given Vactan, stone chips, over zealous pressure washing, dents, road tar, bugs, hood rats scratching their tags and then some!

Van already looks loads sharper just from a flat back, but I'll be up early to paint it before the sun hits my driveway for the rest of the day.

I even found a bag containing brand new window rubbers and door seals that I'd forgotten I'd bought, so it really is going to be a proper job tomorrow. Hope it's not too hot!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Be careful - tomorrow predicted to be hot in many places. Not sure I'd want to paint when it starts to heat up so start early and expect to thin more if you have to or you'll be spreading on toffee before you know it. If its too damned hot, work up to a suitable seam line and call it a day rather than risk it. Remember, the first roller will invariably have tiny bubbles. Don't panic - just let the weight of the roller only run over such areas and the bubbles should dissipate. After a few minutes that will stop anyway and you'll be away.

chuckle-bus-tom

Went fine, other than being blinded by the white paint!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Yes, I think I even mentioned this in the video. White paint on a bright day can get to you! :rofl

chuckle-bus-tom

Tell you what though, spending a little more (an extra 85p) on reduced odour white spirit made a big difference to last time.

Trundler
80-90 Mem No: 2998

Post by Trundler »

Did a marathon prepping session on the front wheelarches on friday evening, saturday and sunday! Every trick, technique and power-tool in my armoury were employed :P Finally got both wheel arches and both cab doors painted by monday morning, just before the sun got fully on the van.

Much happier with the finish this time; paint consistency was perfect, bubbles soon dissipated and I had partner Gill as my spotter and assistant. For a first coat this now looks great (pics below).

This weekend also marked three weeks since I put first coat on the N/S side channel cover so I decided to do my first flat and recoat. The purple-red first coat flatted back easily, and a coat of wine-red went on lovely. Can't wait to give the roof the same treatment now! :D

Next on my list is the front panel, which is probably the most complex area yet (though the cab doors and steps were pretty tricky with all their edges and corners).

It's becoming a very satisfying project - I really haven't time for mundane stuff like going to work. :P
Attachments
Before
Before
door before.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
After
After
OS door after.JPG (90.39 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Glossy!
Glossy!
NS door after with reflection.JPG (90.58 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
1987 Type25 Transporter Syncro 2.1DJ
+ some other less important vehicles...
80-90 member no. 2998

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

That colour really is nice. Beats the pants off the original.

Well done. By now you should be quite adept at rollering. Once you have a feel for it, it becomes that much easier. Its just having the guts to start I always think - that and not being put off by any initial bubbles. :D