Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

onc onc
80-90 Mem No: 9709

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by onc onc »

rattybird wrote:
mearnsy wrote:
eatcustard wrote:best ways to get stickers off its with a knife/scraper and a hairdryer to melt the glue.

or boiling water, turps then takes the glue off :)

or even better that oilve oil :ok[/quote

Olive oil, i aint come across that one for removeing stickers.... What would Popeye have to say about that :wink:
1.9 DG WasserBoxer 1987 Tintop.

rattybird
80-90 Mem No: 3979

Post by rattybird »

or boiling water, turps then takes the glue off :)[/quote][/quote]

or even better that oilve oil :ok[/quote

Olive oil, i aint come across that one for removeing stickers.... What would Popeye have to say about that :wink:[/quote]
it will remove the residue of the stickers :ok
" Its hip to be square "

Termite
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Termite »

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have read this thread from start to finish, as well as the wiki and have bought the DVD. I am about to paint my Early bay window camper van (yes I know, not a T25!). I have treated the rust, filled the relevant dents and covered the van in red oxide primer using rattle cans to stop bits of it going rusty again as I worked my way around the van over the past 2 months.

I presumably now need to flat back the red oxide primer using a 600 grit paper (is this right?). Once this is flatted back, do I need to key it again for the rustoleum to stick? This is the bit I am unsure of and don't want to paint the van once flatted back if I need to then provide a key for the paint.

The other thing I am slightly unsure of is whether to go over the red oxide with grey primer before flatting back. I am going to paint the van Savannah beige, which is a light colour. Would it need a lighter primer to paint over the top of?

Looking forward to finally getting some proper paint on the van!

Thanks in adavance,
Termite.

wasp229
80-90 Mem No: 3594

Post by wasp229 »

Good evening sir,

Please tell me what RAL number is Glenn's 77 camper as per web site picture.It seems to be the same colour as my original colour on the van from the VW factory. I hope I'm right or perhaps you can correct me please.
I had a go with some Color combi last year but it kept coming out like an Artex ceiling......millions of minute holes straight off the roller. What am I doing wrong?
I find your article incredibly interesting.....fantastic.

Many thanks,
Richard Gibbs.

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

Termite, welcome!

You can paint as soon as you have flattened back the primer, there is no need to go over it again with grey primer as you will need to apply 3 or 4 coats of rustoleum anyway to get good coverage, flattening each coat in turn before the next.

Good luck and remember to stick up a pic when done, doesn't matter that it isn't a T3!! :ok

Termite

Post by Termite »

Brilliant, that puts my mind at ease. Thanks Gaz. Was just a little concerned that the colour would bleed through, but I guess that is only for spraying.

Will need to be a little bit careful on flatting down the primer as it's only had the one coat. I was planning on putting the first two coats of rustoleum on before the first flatting back. Do you think that will be ok? Some people flat after every coat from what I've read, others every two.

Thanks for your help. I will definitely put some pics up when its done!

folkers
80-90 Mem No: 8820

Post by folkers »

Termite wrote:Brilliant, that puts my mind at ease. Thanks Gaz. Was just a little concerned that the colour would bleed through, but I guess that is only for spraying.

Will need to be a little bit careful on flatting down the primer as it's only had the one coat. I was planning on putting the first two coats of rustoleum on before the first flatting back. Do you think that will be ok? Some people flat after every coat from what I've read, others every two.

Thanks for your help. I will definitely put some pics up when its done!

Coverage of old paint is something Rustoleum is good at! I'm painting light blue over black and 3 coats has completely covered up the black.
I personally flat with 600 wet and dry after every coat, although different methods work for others. I have found that doing it this way, you get a really smooth surface ready for a final light coat for the nice shine!! :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Rustoleum is noted for its coverage. There are some similarities with spraying in that the basecoat colour (ie whats already there) dictates how many coats it'll take (going over red with white can be hard going for instance) but usually three coats will obliterate any colour beneath. Its also very tolerant of other paint types although there can be exceptions and seam sealer can sometimes be an issue if you haven't let it cure fully.

I'm actually far less concerned with getting a perfect finish and I'm sure others will have already surpassed me on this. For me its about obliterating the shabbiness and fully identifying where I really DO have corrosion issues rather than where I think they might be. So on that basis I'm not in the least bothered if a year later, rust bubbles up somewhere - it just enables me to concentrate on those areas and decide if a new panel is the answer or more intensive grinding. Either way, it only takes a few goes with the roller to bring the suspect area in line with the rest following any remedial work.

For me, thats the biggest plus of this method. :D

What I hadn't anticipated was just how big or how far-reaching this thread would become, or indeed how many smiling faces it would create.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

wasp229
80-90 Mem No: 3594

Post by wasp229 »

Cov Kid.....any chance of a reply to Wasp229 from last tuesday? Thanks..... Richard.

Termite

Post by Termite »

CovKid wrote:Rustoleum is noted for its coverage. There are some similarities with spraying in that the basecoat colour (ie whats already there) dictates how many coats it'll take (going over red with white can be hard going for instance) but usually three coats will obliterate any colour beneath. Its also very tolerant of other paint types although there can be exceptions and seam sealer can sometimes be an issue if you haven't let it cure fully.

I'm actually far less concerned with getting a perfect finish and I'm sure others will have already surpassed me on this. For me its about obliterating the shabbiness and fully identifying where I really DO have corrosion issues rather than where I think they might be. So on that basis I'm not in the least bothered if a year later, rust bubbles up somewhere - it just enables me to concentrate on those areas and decide if a new panel is the answer or more intensive grinding. Either way, it only takes a few goes with the roller to bring the suspect area in line with the rest following any remedial work.

For me, thats the biggest plus of this method. :D

What I hadn't anticipated was just how big or how far-reaching this thread would become, or indeed how many smiling faces it would create.

Being able to touch it up at a later date is a plus point for me as well, and one of the reasons that I am going to give this a try. I would like nothing more than to put my van in for a spray job and go pick it up in a couple of weeks all shiny and think "wow", but I know that bits of rust will come back and it would be heart breaking to think that a £3,000 spray job will need touching up with rattle cans that don't match properly when a wheel arch starts rotting out! :lol:

pitufinavikinga
80-90 Mem No: 7635

Re:

Post by pitufinavikinga »

For Wasp 229... i found this one... i was looking for the same :) Nevertheless in the rustoleum page the color looks a bit different , but it may be the computer screen. My original color is LH5G (Medium Blau) Until today I havent find a specific RAL equivalent...

http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/colourselect/1/19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glenn77 wrote:I used 'Sky Blue' code is RAL 5015 on the combicolour web page
http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/?action=colourselect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: Re:

Post by boatbuilder »

pitufinavikinga wrote:For Wasp 229... i found this one... i was looking for the same :) Nevertheless in the rustoleum page the color looks a bit different , but it may be the computer screen. My original color is LH5G (Medium Blau) Until today I havent find a specific RAL equivalent...
http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/colourselect/1/19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glenn77 wrote:I used 'Sky Blue' code is RAL 5015 on the combicolour web page
http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/?action=colourselect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why go with RAL 5015 when you can get Avenue Coatings to mix genuine LH5G?
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Sorry Wasp, didnt realise your question was aimed specifically at me. Unless folk PM me, I'm just as likely to miss it as the thread is constantly being added to. Pinholes are due to you not saturating the roller enough to start with fella. As for Glenn's camper - best to PM him on the colour he used.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Hi

First time on this thread, found it to be an absolute goldmine of info. I have just finished rollering my van and I am now reaching the cut down and final polish stage. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on which compound to use for rustoleum paint. I normally use G3 on two pack but I am not sure what to use on rustoleum paint.

Cheers

pics to follow soon
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

folkers
80-90 Mem No: 8820

Post by folkers »

Meguiars Ultimate compound is what i've been using.....its not too abrasive and gives a good shine. I just made the mistake of not keeping the bodywork wet enough!