Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MarkyBoyT25
80-90 Mem No: 8729

Re: Paint Your Wagon - with a roller!

Post by MarkyBoyT25 »

Bloody wind was drying my paint too fast 2day :(

But im still having fun :D i think :D :D :D :D

Roll A Roll A Penny A Pitch! :ok
check out my Rack!

wazza
80-90 Mem No: 8862

Post by wazza »

add me on this list just got my paint and looking forward to starting going to do my hi top first as its not fitted yet bring it on :ok
think i need a bigger hammer

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Just a quick update on my Rustoleum rattle can paint job of 4 summers ago! I never got around to the second coat, as one coat has given a reasonable finish. i am gonna try and get the second layer on this summer. T-cut and polished one side of the bus this morning. Ideal spraying conditions here today in Devon.

One coat covers all!!!

1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

belzyc

Post by belzyc »

Hi
Good job! looks great. What color code you have used?

Novice in need
80-90 Mem No: 9010

Post by Novice in need »

Nice paint job... fingers crossed mine is half as good when im done :rollin

Can i ask if you used a seam sealant like Tiger sealer? or similar and if so any chance of a little advise please? basically im wondering how long the sealant takes to fully cure before being able to be painted over.

Id appreciate your findings when you went about this on your van as im extremelly impressed with how yours turned out (plus i want to copy :D )

Thanks
I have a 1.9 DG Petrol Watercooled Panel Van 1990 ... that im starting to believe has issues!!!!

syncrosimon

Post by syncrosimon »

It was a shade lighter than the original Escorial green, and was available in a spray can. it is Ral 6001, 6002 would have been closer but not available in the rattle can.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

syncrosimon

Post by syncrosimon »

Novice in need wrote:Nice paint job... fingers crossed mine is half as good when im done :rollin

Can i ask if you used a seam sealant like Tiger sealer? or similar and if so any chance of a little advise please? basically im wondering how long the sealant takes to fully cure before being able to be painted over.

Id appreciate your findings when you went about this on your van as im extremelly impressed with how yours turned out (plus i want to copy :D )

Thanks

I was lucky and did not have to use tiger seal, but I did use a bit of body filler, and I guess I waited a couple of hours for it to harden off. Rustoleum is very forgiving so a day should be fine.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

Novice in need

Post by Novice in need »

Syncrosimon

Thanks for the reply... i wish i was as lucky as you :D iv spent 2 full 10 hour days preping the van, used filler (alot of dents so not too bad) 20minute drying time on this filler, think it was called P38 Easy sand from Halfords. Seals in general was ok however a couple needed doing.
Iv just read about sealant causing Rustoleum failing to dry when painted over sealant and its given me cause for concern as i have literally just applied the seam sealant to the van.

O well fingers X'd it cures overnight ready for tomorrow .... Thanks again
I have a 1.9 DG Petrol Watercooled Panel Van 1990 ... that im starting to believe has issues!!!!

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

can anyone please advise for this weather right now what the best ratio of rustoleum paint from a can with white spirit is? cheers.

took one whole day to sand down one side of the van real smooth, all treatment and sealing was already done. this was with an electric sander too, didn't bother with sanding wet, going to wipe the panels down with white spirit before painting. at places the primer was dobbed on thick over rust chips that were grinded off and treated, and went down to 320 and lower and then finished with 600 to flatten back for paint. will try and get one side painted tonight.
Das AutoWagen.

rattybird
80-90 Mem No: 3979

Post by rattybird »

hi guys im looking at the rustolium rattle can route , how many cans do i need ? complete van and do i use it the same way
" Its hip to be square "

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

took a day to do one side. sanding, flatting back and painting. beware of little floaters, blossom, a couple of kamikaze flying things. pics coming up in a bit. results are very impressive. great paint. would have been perfect if hadn't have pulled the floaters off. if any bits of blossom etc go on the paint, leave them and polish them off after. also went too much on a few of the primered stone chips, but that can be sorted out with more paint, polishing and flatting. to do it quickly, we used and 240 wet n dry for flatting the big blobs of primer to the body, 120 where it's hard to get off, 340 norton skims over the primer well, 600 for final finishing and smoothing,

i am having a friendly debate with my female friend. women do the rollering and men supervise! :D
(It's true, see the wiki picture).

;)
Das AutoWagen.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Good to see everyone doing the April/May thing. This really is the best month for painting outside providing you can find a bit of shade. By the end of May its either too hot or too many wee beasties. I'm doing a few areas in the week that need touching up since i did mine around 4 years ago.

Rattle cans to do whole thing??? Borrow a compressor and gun - would be WAY cheaper....
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Novice in need

Post by Novice in need »

Heres my progress...... 1st coat, bit rough but after flatting back and another coat should work out good :D

From this to this

folkers
80-90 Mem No: 8820

Post by folkers »

Progress today:

2nd coat on front, and drivers side rear panels. Also re-painted the front grilel in satin black

spike blonde
80-90 Mem No: 7121

Post by spike blonde »

joined the rolling revolution today, use my van daily so having to do peicemeal, did the tailgate door today, not bad for a first attempt i think, i think the paint was a lil on the thin side and didnt cover as well as i hoped, but that can be rectified at a later date with another coat so not too worried, its the flatting im not lookin forward to haha, ah well will keep me busy nights, just glad to be finally crackin on with makin van look tidy :D
1.9dg waterboxer hitop gasure lpg conversion