Side sliding window - HOLE TOO BIG!!!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Horatio Flange
80-90 Mem No: 30

Side sliding window - HOLE TOO BIG!!!

Post by Horatio Flange »

Hi all,

Really getting desperate here so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I bought a converted 1990 panel van a few months back and noticed the the offside (RHD) middle side windows needed some rust treating. Upon removing the seal and sliding window it was clear the rust was because the window was very poorly fitted. The hole seems to have been butchered in by a blind man, while drunk!

The window measures 1043 x 389mm but the hole is 1073 x 403mm.

I explored trying to get an oversize seal but that doesn't seem to be an option. How do I make the whole smaller? Do I need to replace the entire panel and then re cut a new, correctly sized hole?

The van is completely stripped out so I can do most work without problems and I have access to a guy who welds cars for a living. He's not sure of the easiest/best way to proceed.

If we weld a new panel on the van should it be on the inside or outside? How much of the old panel should I cut away first? Really clueless here! Lol

Cheers all.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Side sliding window - HOLE TOO BIG!!!

Post by maxstu »

In the Wiki...
Order one or two of these.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/body-panel ... -side.html

Or cut your own and resize the window. Or find a glazier to cut correct size from toughened glass perhaps?

https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Areas_that_ ... dow_frames
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Panel van conversions had no standard size glass, there are many different ones .
factory windowed busses have standard glass, and even then there are different size ones depending on spec .
you maybe able to fit a factory glass . Or as you say get the panel repaired and make the hole the correct size for your glass.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

You've covered all options above really, but when you are faced with a ship show like that - my thoughts would be sort it properly so a standard window can be fitted - then should need ever arise, its easier to find a replacement
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

maxstu wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 11:16 In the Wiki...
Order one or two of these.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/body-panel ... -side.html

Or cut your own and resize the window. Or find a glazier to cut correct size from toughened glass perhaps?

Getting a new piece of glass may be the answer but I really want to keep the sliding window?

They are all for factory windows, mine is a converted panel van so don't think any of that will work? Thanks for the reply though.
https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Areas_that_ ... dow_frames

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

I think a new panel and new hole the right size is tje way then. Didn't know if anyone had dealt with this and had a bedt fix from experience?

Cheers for the suggestions though, much appreciated.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

For a bodywork welder it’s a fairly straightforward repair, , from your measurements it doesn’t seem like a big repair

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Price of p… , if your pal who welds cars for a living doesn’t know, he needs a new career. Basically, you want approx 7mm gap all the way around the outside of the glass , so if the window was 400mm x 300mm the hole in the body would be 414 x 314. Done loads over the years, tell the welder to butt weld a strip in, (if he can), that means the repair wont be on the inside or outside . You could buy a bigger window
That is slightly larger and cut the van to suit but would look odd as it wont be symmetrical to the other window (if there is another window) , if you unsure pm me and i will explain either by message or phone call. Skim of filler and paint and new seal itl look like new
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

Horatio Flange

Post by Horatio Flange »

I'm beginning to question his welding abilities! I think he mainly does chassis or floor pans etc. Stuff yiu don't really see? I know what you mean with butt welding. I'll see if it's something he can do. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Horatio Flange wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 11:41 I'm beginning to question his welding abilities! I think he mainly does chassis or floor pans etc. Stuff yiu don't really see? I know what you mean with butt welding. I'll see if it's something he can do. Cheers for the advice, much appreciated.

I wouldn’t, if he knows his skill level and has suggested this is outside his comfort zone I would find someone who’s more comfortable doing it, I know plenty of welders who choose not to do stuff, just because they can choose