Welder - warrington area (with a bit of spare time on their hands every now and then)

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

QuickBrownFox
80-90 Mem No: 0

Welder - warrington area (with a bit of spare time on their hands every now and then)

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Hi,

I've got a rusty-ish holdsworth high top. Don't have the money for a body shop 'sort it all out' job right now. Looking for a local welder who has experience of working on t25's to do some work over time when it suits them (and I have the money). A mutually beneficial arrangement. I don't undervalue or underpay someone with a skill or trade, it's more doing the work piecemeal and at a pace that suits both parties.

I guess first step would be a quick once over of the van to see their opinion of overall effort. It may be that I have to fleabay it in its current condition rather than piling k's into it, with a very young family priorities change, my disposable hobby fund soon dissapeared on nappies and calpol. We'd agree a few jobs to be done and then get the work done when convenient and be flexible.

Initial jobs are back nearside window out and cut out existing rust on bodywork and make good. Panel behind front bumper, same. Some gutter work. That's the stuff I can see! From the restoration threads I know it could be superficial only or the van could be more rust than metal.

I was told a few years ago by a reputable t25 mechanic (sadly no longer with us) when doing some other work for me that the van was sound and in good condition, bar superficial rust that needed attention. I then left it uncovered and exposed to the elements for a couple of years and I find myself where I am today.

Not sure how realistic it is for someone to bring the welder to me and do the work on my drive?

I know the first ask from the forum will be 'upload pics'. Id say if your local and interested then come see it. I make a decent cuppa.

BR

Andrew
That would be an ecumenical matter

1986 Holdsworth Vision High Top. 1.9DG.

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Re: Welder - warrington area (with a bit of spare time on their hands every now and then)

Post by dbz864 »

Do you have a garage or is it ‘open to the elements’ up your drive?
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

QuickBrownFox

Re: Welder - warrington area (with a bit of spare time on their hands every now and then)

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Its open to the elements I'm afraid. The van wouldn't fit in the garage. 

Not ideal for welding right?

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

I know that pain.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I can’t help but maybe go and have a chat with Peter at Muddyfield Campers
https://www.muddyfields-campervans.com/
David.
the future is unwritten

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

I could take a look if im up your way and give you my thoughts/advice , i do that sort of work daily on 25s and have for a long time, im losing my work premises, so may retire or may get a job in new year, when ive cleared the decks. It makes it difficult outside as the metal will be rusting before you can protect it with paint, etc, very good chance of getting damp under paint which will cause micro blisters later. You will be far better waiting till summer, still not ideal tho. Without looking, gutters will be the problem, but yours is a holdsworth, which should mean your gutters are slightly different
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Thanks for the advice on the garage Jrt. I may call in if I can bring myself to face going over the new bridge and forgetting to pay (again) although there's always via the m56.

Dbz864. You would always find a warm welcome should you find yourself up this way. Feel free to give me a shout. All advice/insight most welcome.

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

QuickBrownFox

Post by QuickBrownFox »

Thanks T3luestar. Not on Facebook so only let's me see so much but after a quick Google are they in Chorley? Bout 40 mins for me which isn't too bad. Though I'd need an MOT first 🙏

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

He's a good lad, I've known him for a few years now, works out of a unit not far from Charnock Richard. If you want his number let me know.