Carpet on Doors?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

saysomestuff
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carpet on Doors?

Post by saysomestuff »

Hi All,

Making progress on the Doka. Just planning the next job which is sound deadening and insulating the cab and then re-carpet.

I'm not sure if I'm being a bit dull but where do I stop carpeting? I want to make it as nice in the cab as possible with as little noise and rattle but I'm not sure how to deal with the doors and the bits surrounding them. Is sound deadening/thermo fleece in the cavities enough?

Can anyone share some pics or advice on how they did it?

Cheers in advance, Cole.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Carpet on Doors?

Post by Stesaw »

If you are on about the back doors and any cavities you can use dodomat stuff cut it into strips as you don't need to plaster the whole panel to reduce vibration. For insulation use the recyled plastic bottle stuff as it won't hold water and rot your van out from the inside out. Then a vapour barrier between that and the door cards, which you can just use some plastic sheet and use the spray glue on it and press it around the cavity holes. The fronts I'd just put in some dodo mat stuff to reduce the vibrations and vapour barrier it. As for carpeting B pillars and the likes.. eh not sure, I certainly wouldn't cram any insulation into them.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Always a bit wary when I here about insulating these vans, even when lying idle moisture sets in all the places that are not visible.  You only have to look at the inside of your windows this time of year and see the condensation, imagine what is settling that is not visible. 
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

The rear wheel arches do give me a bit of a twitch when you know they are flat surfaces.
I just cleaned up the cavity areas and waxoyl'd the seams, made sure when putting in insulation to leave breathing room along the seams and any horizontal bits of bodywork.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Shag pile all over, good insulation properties, and a certain je ne sais quoi…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

saysomestuff
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by saysomestuff »

RogerT wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 12:44 Shag pile all over, good insulation properties, and a certain je ne sais quoi…

Ha ha, now yer talking!

Thanks for comments all, I think first port of call is to see how big a difference the dodomat and thermo fleece make - I would much prefer to just keep door cards etc. rather than going mad with carpet so let's hope the cab is a slightly nicer place to be after I've done the sound deadening.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

saysomestuff wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 18:08
RogerT wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 12:44 Shag pile all over, good insulation properties, and a certain je ne sais quoi…

Ha ha, now yer talking!

Thanks for comments all, I think first port of call is to see how big a difference the dodomat and thermo fleece make - I would much prefer to just keep door cards etc. rather than going mad with carpet so let's hope the cab is a slightly nicer place to be after I've done the sound deadening.

From experience of sound deadning my van, the dodomat stuff makes a significant difference if you do it right. Before I'd get to about 40MPH and have to shout to my passenger to talk to them. Now it gets loud at around 60MPH and I've yet to do my cab doors. Insulation makes a difference, but as I've got a pop top with tatty non insulated fabric it gets chilly quick if the roof is up.