New FootWell/Welding Advice

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LeeCarey
80-90 Mem No: 4966

New FootWell/Welding Advice

Post by LeeCarey »

Hi All, newbie to the art of Mig Welding and about to cut out the rusty footwell and replace with a JustKampers replacement. Question i have is without having to cut-out the shape identical to the new is it ok to plug weld the new part. Or is it recommended just cut out the old and shape until the new one fits perfectly and seam weld, I can see the hole and new part not fitting perfectly based on my cutting skills :-)

Thanks in advance
Club 80-90 Member 4966
T25 Transporter 1984
2.0l CU Engine

airheadboxer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: New FootWell/Welding Advice

Post by airheadboxer »

Have a look at the  last 3 photos on this link (if you click on them they'll open up larger).

https://www.busandcamper.com/easley-ear ... glegs.html

They show a repair to the step/dogleg on a T2 Bay, but the principle is similar.

There is a combination of butt welding and plug welding. There is also a comment that they had to extend the existing metal to meet the new panel and it looks to me like they used butt welding to extend it to the new panel.

Personally I plug weld where there was spot welding and butt weld where not.
1984 DG Autosleeper

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: New FootWell/Welding Advice

Post by davidoft1 »

Over lapping by 10mm all round is perfectly acceptable, edge to edge is very time consuming and needs some practice, as every panel on the van is over lapped it’s not going to cause any more issues than any other panel