Side window seal - which bit is on the outside?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Side window seal - which bit is on the outside?

Post by aknapper »

Hi, I'm process of dealing with rust under the old window seal.  I'm almost ready to re-install the window with a new seal (from Heritage).
My question is, and sorry for being dumb, which bit of the seal goes on the inside and which goes on the outside?
One side has 3 seal flaps.  The old seal had the rubber insert in on the outside but this doesn't help me.

1987 Komet Hightop DG

aknapper

Re: Side window seal - which bit is on the outside?

Post by aknapper »

and here is the seal.  This is the bottom of the seal...so is the top side in this photo on the outside? Image
1987 Komet Hightop DG

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Does it have a cross section like this? It is called a claytonrite seal and the gap for the bead (shown here at the top) is installed on the outside.

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Oops. We posted at the same time! That looks like a factory fit window seal. Do you have the Heritage part number?

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

It's Rear Side Window Seal Plain
SKU: 253-845-341

Now I am worried that I haven't chosen the Claytonite seal...  That's what was originally installed but my view is now that it wasn't tight enough seal or has shrunk over time allowing in moisture.  The windows don't actually leak.

Seeing as we are going camping on Saturday, it begs the question of whether or not I can use the factory seal...

1987 Komet Hightop DG

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

It is a factory seal and you will need a claytonrite for your window. The factory one will not fit as installation is completely different. I used Phoenix Seals online to get lengths of what I needed. They are very helpful and quick too!

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

You're right, helpful chappie at Phoenix trim will get right Claytonrite seal and gubbins ready for the courier today.  Still time to get it sorted before Saturday (said hopefully  :roll: ).   I wish Heritage would have put some additional info about the seal not useable for non-factory windows.
Big thanks for setting me straight!!
1987 Komet Hightop DG

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Glad I could help! Have a good trip!! 👍

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

Well at least I've had time to get it all ready for the new seal.  A bit bumpy of a finish truth be told but I've got some recommended sealant to assist with this when I put the Claytonite seal in.  thanks again for your help!Image
1987 Komet Hightop DG

aknapper

Post by aknapper »

And here is the new correct seal installed.  A bit messy with the autoglass sealant to help seal the not so smoot re-painting, but I'm pleased I was able to get it installed just by myself.  Final clean up today.Image
1987 Komet Hightop DG