Filler pieces behind Grille

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Filler pieces behind Grille

Post by keynsham1 »

I am currently refitting my van and just fitted a replacement radiator duct kit. It was a very poor fit and needed a lot of fiddling. When I took everything apart originally, I also had two pieces of white board, one either side sitting between the radiator and the headlights. I am not sure if they are an original part or someone has put them there for some reason I cannot fathom. Has ayone else got these and if so, how are they supposed to fit? (one part I didn't cover in y millions of dismantling photos!!)

The photo's show the two parts and where they came from but obviously not properly placed! Orientation is anyones guess!! Any way around they don't seem to fit!

ImageImage

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Filler pieces behind Grille

Post by Stesaw »

From what I've seen those white bits of panelling attach to the grill itself. Just to help with the airflow through the rad I suppose.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

I hadn't thought of that! Brilliant! On the back of the old grille I can see where they were once fitted! I have a replacement grille which has pins moulded in at the attachment locations so the question is shall I make some new ones as the old ones are knackered?... I think so!!

ImageImage

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I have or had the same on mine, I thought they were fixed to the bodywork though not the grille, I do hear them flap from time to time as I don't think they are secured properly, I have seen them on line also as they do perish over time.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

If you search on here you can get the plans to make your own wind deflector/ baffle. For sale signs are a good source of material to make them from.
David.
the future is unwritten

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Good point as they need to be water proof/resistant and your Van will go up in value.  :run
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

I made new ones. I cut them from some thin sheet metal that I had kicking around and then painted black.
You could make some from ply or even hardboard and paint with bitumastic paint. They will probably last a few years. My original ones were hardboard or similiar and had lasted for 15+ yrs.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG