Windows - Rust Dribbles

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ozman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Windows - Rust Dribbles

Post by ozman »

Hi all,

Recently we refurbed the bus. We took all the windows out, ground away the pitted rust we all love and then filtered etc and put new seals in. Horrible job.

There is now a rust dribble under a few of the windows so suspect that the seals are on, but not incredible. It also would appear to be one of the conversion busses as the glass is straight so the holes may be a little on the loose side...

Anyone got any recommendations for sealing under the seal for maximum protection? I've seen some Captain Tolly's creeping crack cure which looks legit and I could run it round all the windows just to make sure?

Ideas on a postcard ;)

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Re: Windows - Rust Dribbles

Post by sweetaswesty »

We had van style windows in our last T2 which I took out and put back in for the same reason. I used black Sikaflex piping it into the seal before fitting the seal and window into the opening. It was messy I recall but we didn’t have any leaks even though the surrounds beneath the seals weren’t exactly perfect to say the least. The Sikaflex wiped off with white spirit but I think we used masking tape to protect the interior trim.
Maybe it wasn’t the best practise (?) but we’ve got a leak at the moment from a dry professionally fitted window and if I think Sikaflex will help us have a dry van I’ll use it again for sure. Unless some one here has a better suggestion which is more than possible of course.

1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

I was just looking on another forum where this was recommended: 3M 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound.
Supposedly it can also be squeezed in after the window is in place. It’s maybe a better option than Sikaflex.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

It was recommended on this forum too.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I think captain tolly creeping stuff is only suitable for sealing between the glass and the rubber/beeding surround, I believe it is unsuitable for between the beeding and bodywork.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Post by King Kenny »

sweetaswesty wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 06:34  I used black Sikaflex piping it into the seal before fitting the seal and window into the opening. It was messy I recall but we didn’t have any leaks even though the surrounds beneath the seals weren’t exactly perfect to say the least. 

I used Evo Stick 'Roof and Gutter' on my Morris Traveller. It was messy but I found it perfect (and cheap). It is black so any product will not show on the rubber.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

sweetaswesty

Post by sweetaswesty »

Everbuild Roof and Gutter sealant  is a similar product that's also cheap :-) - also butyl based, so it doesn't fully harden off.  Toolstation and/ or Screwfix have it. VW/ Westfalia used a similar product to seal parts of the hightop and it was also used originally to stick my cab carpet down. It's also used on the support structures for the side panel and 3/4 rear panels. White Spirit cleans/ dissolves it.
Sika own Everbuild also.

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

Is it factory windows or panel van conversion?
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

i used arbomast sealant on the windscreen, its a non setting product but made for auto windows. cheap too.  can be squeezed in by lifting the seal (on windcrseen at least)

https://www.arbo.co.uk/products/mastic- ... autograde/

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

ozman

Post by ozman »

Rosie n' Jim wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 19:23 Is it factory windows or panel van conversion?

Panel conversion.

ozman

Post by ozman »

slowcoach wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 08:36 i used arbomast sealant on the windscreen, its a non setting product but made for auto windows. cheap too.  can be squeezed in by lifting the seal (on windcrseen at least)

https://www.arbo.co.uk/products/mastic- ... autograde/

Incredible thanks