How to fit rear side window? Westfalia, with plastic vent box

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

How to fit rear side window? Westfalia, with plastic vent box

Post by sweetaswesty »

I seem to have a leak and I think I’m going to have to take out and refit the near side rear window.
Which seems to be an easy job if there’s just a window in the space but a bit of a pain when there’s also a black plastic air vent box to fit in the space also?
Does any one have any tips on how to make this job as easy as possible? And also on how to make sure it doesn’t leak again?
I’ve put in side windows without the box using a crossed over cord before I’m just a bit daunted by that box.
Thanks!
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: How to fit rear side window? Westfalia, with plastic vent box

Post by Mocki »

Frankly , if putting the glass in you think is easy , it’s no different with that awful noisey vent thing . 
I took mine with the vent thing out and put a sliding window in, and it turned out to be a three man job ! We musta been doing something wrong ! 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Post by sweetaswesty »

I did a bit of searching before I posted and there was a thread which said stringing the window in was an easy three minute job and a few people agreed. But with the plastic box it’s more difficult with apparently even experienced screen professionals making a hash of it.
I was just hoping there might be a trick or two that might make it a bit easier to do? Maybe if you start stringing it in a particular place for instance? 
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

Is it a factory fit or aftermarket (panel van) window? The first is simple with string, the second is a nightmare and you can't use string. Factory fit seals go on the window first and then are pushed into the aperture. Aftermarket ones require the seal to be fitted to the aperture and then the window to be fitted.