Hi Top to Pop Top conversion?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Hi Top to Pop Top conversion?

Post by AngeloEvs »

I would like to convert my Hi Top Autohomes to a Pop Top, preferably the three quarter length type if possible. Has anyone done this or know any sources for a pop top?

Also, my hi top is only bonded down each side in the gutter rails with the front and rear just having a seal but does anyone know how pop tops fitted?

Last question, I would imagine a hi top is heavy, would it have any second hand value as I could just cut it up into four sections and scrap it?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

ianders
80-90 Mem No: 13417

Re: Hi Top to Pop Top conversion?

Post by ianders »

Any indication of what the body is like where the high-top meets the roof? Mine was in some state!

I wasn't really bothered at how my welds and repairs looked as I was putting the high-top back on, but would imagine it'd be quite a difficult part to weld up to any good standard.

1.9 DG 1987 High Top

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Ouch!.....thats a great reason for scrapping a hi top.   I don't think it is possible to give a definite report on the condition of the roof  untill the roof is actually lifted, I have inserted a camera and examined as much as I can but even so I fully expect some work will be needed.   I sprayed Dynax S50 some years ago along the entire length each side of the van where the Hi Top sits on the roof and noticed some of it was creeping out from under the Hi Top sealant/adhesive.  I also replaced all the sealant so I am hoping that any corrosion has not got any worse.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Having done a few from pop top to high top over the years , the only thing I can say is , pop tops are heavier ! 
the last pop top I took off was a side lifting Viking ( not the XL 6 bearth one) and it was only 3/4 length , the bit over the cab was a separate external luggage rack ( or swimming pool after rain ) and the last foot or so at the back was not internal ( the canvas stopped a foot before the end of the roof) .
as for where you would get one , there was bloke down south doing them , but didn’t have very favourable feedback last I heard ….. however I think I might know where there is one but I would need to check if it’s still there 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Thanks Mocki, I like the Hi Top but the number of places that have height restrictions seems to be increasing and watching all the Tin Tops and Pop ups parking where I can’t is really annoying and even my local tip class my van van as too high. I rarely use mine as a camper these days and also considering converting it back to a Tin Top which I can get done but need to get a quote and compare costs, advantages, etc, etc. New DIY elevating roof can cost as much as £2500....... :shock:

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

I have a 2.2 metres high top. Yes it is a bit of a pain. But the storage is brilliant compared to a pop top. And it has far superior insulation too. With our first camper, often on a windy mountainside in Wales we have dropped the pop top to prevent damage. Then all your bags end up on the habitation floor or on the bed.
If it is your main vehicle you can apply for a special access ticket (12 a year) to visit local recycling centre.
Will end by saying a pop top handles so much better than a high top.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".