Respray

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fresco3000
80-90 Mem No: 0

Respray

Post by fresco3000 »

Some lovely person keyed my van a few times during lockdown.

With three large scratches along the entire drivers side I'm looking at a respray.

Anyone got an idea of what it might/should cost or any good outfits to do the work in the Hertfordshire region?

Also want to get seats recovered if anyone has a recommendation on that.
1986 Caravelle GL - Water Cooled - Petrol 2000cc - 5 Speed

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Re: Respray

Post by 300CE »

Sorry to hear that, there’s some right w4nkers out there.

You’re probably looking at between £250/£300 a panel, so maybe around £750 to a grand for one side. A full respray can be £2k upwards.

If you only do the one side, the problem you then have (depending on colour) is the colours not matching elsewhere as they will have faded overtime.

How deep are the scratches - if you run the back of your finger over them upwards is there a ridge? The reason I ask is because you might be able to have them machine polished out which would cost around £150 for the side.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

fresco3000
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Respray

Post by fresco3000 »

Thanks 300CE!

Pricey eh! They went deep, I was going to try to do it myself with a touch up kit but the sheer amount of sanding brought tears to my eyes. The paintwork is pretty bright (think it has been resprayed before) so don't think I would have an issue with matching.

Was looking at a few vans that have decals earlier, a large vinyl strip might be a cheaper option.
1986 Caravelle GL - Water Cooled - Petrol 2000cc - 5 Speed