Chassis welding behind rear spring turret

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

crazydiamond
80-90 Mem No: 173

Chassis welding behind rear spring turret

Post by crazydiamond »

Its always the same, doing one job (cv gaiters) and you find other nasties. In my case on my 1982 devon, the main chassis rail behind and between the two vertical legs of the rear suspension turret, its bulging outwards and very nasty looking. My local guy who I trust has given up welding due to health concerns, so what are my options. Invest in a MIG or gasless Mig welder and have a go myself or does anyone know a good understanding welder in my area Kidderminster. Its a strange bit of rust I havnt come across before on a T3 and i'm hoping that after spring removal its just a case of cutting the bad part out and stiching a new piece in. Whats your thoughts?
1982 2 litre Aircooled Devon
1988 2.1 Syncro ex ambulance
Member 173 and Syncronaught 10

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Chassis welding behind rear spring turret

Post by RogerT »

Pics?

I’d say buy a welder, but then I would, wouldn’t I… Cos you may have other rust…
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Re: Chassis welding behind rear spring turret

Post by T25Convert »

I’d agree - if you’re asking if you should buy a welder you probably already have a sneaking wish for one anyway!

I’m new to it and only have a gas less MIG from machine mart, but have managed some reasonably tricky repairs after a bit of practice.

It’s a good feeling to know that you have the tools and ability to tackle rust as you find it!!
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle