Rock and roll bed and seatbelts

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RichK213
80-90 Mem No: 17598

Rock and roll bed and seatbelts

Post by RichK213 »

Hello all, i am new to the T25 world, having just bought my first camper! have been out for one trip, and really enjoyed it (as did my 7yo and 5yo).  we bought a 1990 Autosleeper, all seems to work, but just finding out what each button does and chasing wires. I have a quick question regarding the rock and roll bed and seatbelts.  I have seen the brickwerks 3 point kit which looks ideal, but i believe is out of stock. I have also seen that the upright of the rear seat is held in with flimsy locks to hold it in place. I am not too sure about this and having kids in the back.
So i am looking for advice on rear seatbelts (have seen numerous posts on here - but unsure what to do without the brickwerks kit), and also looking for advice on replacing the rear seat with a metal framed rock and roll bed (there are a good few on the market), but its finding one that is suitable for 3 point seat belts.

any advice would be great

cheers

Rich

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Rock and roll bed and seatbelts

Post by AngeloEvs »

Some T25’s such as the Caravelle have the seat belt fittings already in place but converted vans will need the strengthening plates with the captive nuts fitted. Since the three point belts are mounted to the chassis, both the passenger and the folding seats are restrained. I don’t think that the folding seat would have enough mass to undermine the restraint ability of the seat belt but no one has ever crash tested that set up. With a steel framed RnR bed the frame can be used to anchor the lap part of the belt but it still requires installation of the frame with strengthening plates to the chassis.

In my Autohomes I installed one three point belt and one lap belt to the chassis and mine has folding board type seats but I improved the securing method of the folding seat upright by using bolts and strengthening plates rather than just screws into wood - I would have thought any issues with that set up would have come up during MOT inspections.

I have seen owners install two three point belts but cannot recall how the Off Side three point shoulder anchor was secured due to the units running down the side. Might be worth posting your question on the Facebook T25 Owners club.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

I have ordered and had made up a new bed from M1campers in Worksop. They will make the bed to your desired width and it comes with two 3 point belts that are attached to the bed itself. They will also make headrests. It's finished but haven't picked it up yet as my van is still at the bodyshop. No T25 R&R bed will be crash tested and there are different opinions on belts attached directly to the van or via the bed. This company have been trading for a good while and have a good reputation - looking forward to picking mine up.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Post by Born Too Late »

Hi

I have an Autosleeper too; I had 2x 3-point belts fitted in the rear, both coming from the near-side rear pillar. Autosleeper nearly always converted delivery vans so they needed strengthening plates in the pillar. The drivers side belt clips into a buckle in the middle of the seat then goes over your belly into a 2nd buckle.

Ive just had an M1 rock 'n' roll seat bed fitted too, I ordered it without the built-in belts and with isofix fitted. It sits quite a bit further forward than the old seat so I've had to get longer buckles/receivers made for my existing seatbelts. Wouldn't have been a problem if I'd got the seat first!

The M1 bed has 4 bolts through the floor into strengthening plates. I also asked them to weld a triangle into each corner of the frame so I can bolt the wood straight onto the frame, with the cusions fixed & upholstered permanently to the wood so they're not loose.
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Born Too Late wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 19:56 Hi

I have an Autosleeper too; I had 2x 3-point belts fitted in the rear, both coming from the near-side rear pillar. Autosleeper nearly always converted delivery vans so they needed strengthening plates in the pillar. The drivers side belt clips into a buckle in the middle of the seat then goes over your belly into a 2nd buckle.

Ive just had an M1 rock 'n' roll seat bed fitted too, I ordered it without the built-in belts and with isofix fitted. It sits quite a bit further forward than the old seat so I've had to get longer buckles/receivers made for my existing seatbelts. Wouldn't have been a problem if I'd got the seat first!

The M1 bed has 4 bolts through the floor into strengthening plates. I also asked them to weld a triangle into each corner of the frame so I can bolt the wood straight onto the frame, with the cusions fixed & upholstered permanently to the wood so they're not loose.

Are you planning on fixing/gluing the foam to the board and then upholstering over the whole lot? How do the bolt fixings through the metal triangle into the wood work and hold? Hoping to do the same thing myself.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Born Too Late
80-90 Mem No: 14236

Post by Born Too Late »

mariner wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 19:16
Are you planning on fixing/gluing the foam to the board and then upholstering over the whole lot? How do the bolt fixings through the metal triangle into the wood work and hold? Hoping to do the same thing myself.
Yep, I'll be gluing the foam to the boards and covering the whole thing with the material, stapled/glued on the underside. I've used carriage bolts through the boards with the head covered by the foam. They're quite secure if you jush bash them into the hole as they've got a square bit to grip but I also glued them so I don't lose them into the inside of the upholstery.

I'll try and sort some pics out
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire