Captain seat - runner springs

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dn-j
80-90 Mem No: 0

Captain seat - runner springs

Post by dn-j »

Hi All,

This parts diagram shows a couple of springs on the seat runners (highlighted in red) but doesn't show exactly where or how they should be fitted:

When I disassembled my seats for restoration, I diligently photographed everything at each step, but the only photo I have of these springs is after disassembly and now I can't remember how the hell to refit them!

This photo, before disassembly, doesn't show the the spring all:

And curiously, having just disassembled the second seat, the springs seem to be missing completely on that side.

So my questions are:

1) What do these springs do and how do I refit them correctly?
2) Are they available to buy anywhere?

Thanks!

2.1MV Doka Syncro LHD

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Captain seat - runner springs

Post by davidoft1 »

It sits under the runner , there’s a recess for the end in the seat base, the flick at the end of the linger of the 2 arms sits under the seat adjustment bar to push it down towards the seat runner in the van to keep the adjuster engaged

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The diagram is correct for shape of springs and location, i have one spring you can have. Why did you take the seats apart ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

dn-j

Post by dn-j »

Thanks guys.

If I can take that spring from you that would be great.  I will pay handsomely!  I will PM you.  Then all I need to do is find a 4th.

I am restoring/recovering both seats as part of my Doka Syncro restoration.  I guess I could have left the runners on the base while doing this, but to get the whole thing clean and as-new it was best to just strip it down completely.

2.1MV Doka Syncro LHD

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

dn-j wrote: 02 May 2021, 15:12 Thanks guys.

If I can take that spring from you that would be great.  I will pay handsomely!  I will PM you.  Then all I need to do is find a 4th.

I am restoring/recovering both seats as part of my Doka Syncro restoration.  I guess I could have left the runners on the base while doing this, but to get the whole thing clean and as-new it was best to just strip it down completely.

Are you trimming them in different material? I’m
After a set in that material :)

dn-j

Post by dn-j »

Yes, different material. So I have the old covers if you wanted them. Although some sections I unstitched to use for pattern making so they would need sewing back together.

Dan
2.1MV Doka Syncro LHD

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

dn-j wrote: 03 May 2021, 11:20 Yes, different material. So I have the old covers if you wanted them. Although some sections I unstitched to use for pattern making so they would need sewing back together.

Dan

Pm sent

dn-j

Post by dn-j »

For the benefit of the next person with the same problem, here are some photos of the springs in-situ, hopefully correct!

There was actually an indent/scratch worn into the seat base, where the non-bent end of the spring presses against it, so this made the positioning fairly obvious once I looked more closely.

2.1MV Doka Syncro LHD

multisi

Post by multisi »

No thats not correct ! The rod should be sitting in between that prong , not to the side. Thats where the rod needs to move up and down, as it is now the rod cant move much on that side. The curled end of the spring is too near the bend of the rod as you have it now. The end of the rod will only stick out about 5mm when its fitted correctly.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

dn-j

Post by dn-j »

multisi wrote: 13 May 2021, 08:01 No thats not correct ! The rod should be sitting in between that prong , not to the side. Thats where the rod needs to move up and down, as it is now the rod cant move much on that side. The curled end of the spring is too near the bend of the rod as you have it now. The end of the rod will only stick out about 5mm when its fitted correctly.

I looked at this again as I couldn't work out what had happened.  The photo I posted before does show the rod not correctly located in the prong, as you spotted.

But having relocated this correctly, it looks like it is unlikely to stay there.  You can see from these two photos that the rod never sits very deep in the prong, at both limits of the rotation of the rod and the lever (compare the position of the end of the rod, in the seat rail slot, in the two photos).

And worse than that, there doesn't seem to be anything to locate the rod axially (side-to-side across the seat), so if the user pushes the handle in towards the centre of the seat, then the bent part of the rod is likely to just jump out of the prong again.

Am I missing a part somewhere that would constrain the rod's position more precisely?

2.1MV Doka Syncro LHD

multisi

Post by multisi »

The rod just sits in the end, it wont slide up and down, it just pivots, that is good enough to keep it in place.