Side panel vents

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xgav8
80-90 Mem No: 0

Side panel vents

Post by xgav8 »

Hey!

We are in the process of stripping out our new T25 and the panel/floor opposite the sliding door is completely rotten, and so is getting replaced. 

It currently has 2 vents in it. I presume for the oven and fridge (I am clueless).

Today I was testing for water and even with a watering can, water pours in the vents. 

And so I have a couple of questions:

1. Are there any laws around vents requirements? Tempted to not have any when we get the new panel. 

2. If we have panels, how do we keep them water tight?

She’s completely stripped out just now so have a good opportunity to sort. 

thanks I’m advance and apologies for my naivety 😉

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Side panel vents

Post by TONYT25T25 »

A few pictures of the vents would be useful, if using gas for the fridge you definitely need a vent and it should be plumbed in anyway and if fitted correctly will have a vent which restricts water access, air circulation around the fridge is essential and also depends on the model, there should also be a vent in the floor below it.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

There is no law that says you have to have the huge fridge vents , you only need the small hole for the flu and a drop vent in the floor under the fridge 
as long as there is air flow below the fridge and up the back of it so cool air can enter at the bottom and exit as warm air at the top , you can add a thermos switched fan behind to aid airflow if need be 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

xgav8

Post by xgav8 »

Does all of the above apply if you didn’t have a gas fridge?

Here are some pics... let’s see if this works.

https://ibb.co/bLDStVq
https://ibb.co/Hq5qmdM

https://ibb.co/F6yXVvf

That’s before it was stripped (fridge + gas hob + grill) and the now inside and out.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I have a RM212 fitted but only use it on 240v even though all the plumbing for gas and vents remain in place, mine only has the small square Electrolux vent/flu as shown in one of your links.  Fridges generate heat in any case so you need some space around the fridge for ventilation purposes.  I have notice that when mine is in use again 240v there is a degree of heat/warmth felt on the outside panel.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

You most definitely do not need any external holes for a non gas fridge , but you will need several holes in the roof for solar , unless you plan on being one of annoying gigs that has to keep running the engine every half hour during the day , and get up early to run it in the morning with a 12v compressor fridge ? ( bloody t5s normally in my experience)

yes there will be a need for air flow around the back of any fridge , because all fridges make heat to make cooling one way or another .but if you are making a new interior , you can build the ventilation in , and won’t need external panels cutting .

the thing is , the only reason external vent lead to rust is crap installation techniques, if you paint the metal you have cut before it goes cold, the chance of rust is minimal , sadly , few do, and non of the major converters did .

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

xgav8

Post by xgav8 »

Mocki wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 10:11 You most definitely do not need any external holes for a non gas fridge , but you will need several holes in the roof for solar , unless you plan on being one of annoying gigs that has to keep running the engine every half hour during the day , and get up early to run it in the morning with a 12v compressor fridge ? ( bloody t5s normally in my experience)

yes there will be a need for air flow around the back of any fridge , because all fridges make heat to make cooling one way or another .but if you are making a new interior , you can build the ventilation in , and won’t need external panels cutting .

the thing is , the only reason external vent lead to rust is crap installation techniques, if you paint the metal you have cut before it goes cold, the chance of rust is minimal , sadly , few do, and non of the major converters did .

Haha no that's not us  :D

That's good to know though - thanks!