Recognise the paint colour?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Recognise the paint colour?

Post by mariner »

So, we are very close to the painting stage of our resto and I need to provide a paint code or colour to the bodyshop.

This a picture of a T2 we passed a while ago on the motorway and is the colour we'd like to use. Does anyone recognise it or able to give me a steer towards a matching paint? Doesn't have to be VW. I've tried to find a match online but the closest I can get is the marina blue used on the Beetle and that's not quite right.

Any help much appreciated. I can get a paint mixed up but I'd much rather go stock to make any future touch ups/paint jobs easier.

1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Recognise the paint colour?

Post by davidoft1 »

Thinking Turkis green perhaps

mariner

Post by mariner »

davidoft1 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 20:19 Thinking Turkis green perhaps

Cheers. It's certainly close but I think the colour on the t2 is a little darker and a bit greyer. That said the Turkis green is nice and could be a possibility. I'm starting to think the colour on the t2 is a candy colour rather than original VW (or other).

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks again David, have done a bit more reading around based on what you said and think it must be the turkisif it's stock. Seems even using the correct colour code can provide slightly different shades of the same paint, not to mention how it may look slightly different in different lights etc. Time to take the plunge. Gulp.

Out of interest, has anyone used this colour on their van?

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

mariner wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 16:48 Thanks again David, have done a bit more reading around based on what you said and think it must be the turkisif it's stock. Seems even using the correct colour code can provide slightly different shades of the same paint, not to mention how it may look slightly different in different lights etc. Time to take the plunge. Gulp.

Out of interest, has anyone used this colour on their van?

Age of paint type of paint etc can all effect the appearance of a colour, looking on a computer monitor or in a magazine etc , real life is the way to compare