Post Winter Mini Valet/Detail (photo heavy!)

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post Winter Mini Valet/Detail (photo heavy!)

Post by 300CE »

Well, now that the snow has cleared and the horrid salt washed away, it’s that time of the year again where a good old external spring wash is required.

I’m starting to get into the detailing a bit more and have previously machine polished the bus, but thought I’d post up the process that I use for a general clean:

First off I clean the wheels and use GTechniq Iron Fallout remover - despite your wheels looking clean, the fallout will breakdown the iron that has stuck on your wheel which you can’t see and will look like this:

I then use Bilt Hamber Snow Foam connected to my pressure washer - this breaks down all the dirt and grime:

Once jet washed off I then use a mixture of Meguiars wash/wax & Auto Glym Shampoo - I use a Chemical Guys wash mitt & always use the two bucket method (to wash & rinse):

I usually go round the van twice and then rinse off:

Once completed I used Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber Care for around the window seals and a Sonic Brush to remove the moss and dirt:

I use a 600gsm microfibre to dry the paint work and on this occasion used Pete’s 53 wax as it brings out a glossy shine on darker paint - it’s a straight wipe on wipe off as you don’t need to wait for it to cure - apply to a panel at a time:

I then used Sonax wheel sealant for the wheels and the Meguiars tyre gel:

For the metal bumpers I use good old WD40 & Black To The Future cream on the surrounds:

Then spray Chemical Guys protectant for the arches:

ImageImage

I then use a final detailer just to remove any remnants of the wax:

I normally use a final sealant after waxing but I only applied that a couple of months ago and it smells bloody awful, so will re-apply next time.

I’m also looking on testing a Sio2 spray sealant to see what results this achieves - more details here if you’re interested:

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/faq/what-is-ceramic-or-sio2/
Last edited by 300CE on 21 Feb 2021, 22:18, edited 2 times in total.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Re: Post Winter Mini Valet/Detail (photo heavy!)

Post by PeteandNikki »

Hmm... shame you’re so far away from Somerset. I’d drop the van around in the morning, just to save you getting during lockdown!

300CE

Post by 300CE »

:D :D You know what, I really enjoy doing it - just a shame there wasn’t a detailing market when I left school as I may have chosen a different career path. Full on high level paint correction can cost in the £0000’s:

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car ... -services/
'86 DG, Weber Carb

huggy76
80-90 Mem No: 12681

Post by huggy76 »

Can I ask what colour you painted your bumpers please as I need to do mine and like the look of yours. Thanks in advance

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Post by dsa »

Great job van looks stunning great colour :ok
Gordon
1989 Westfalia California 1.6 TD

300CE

Post by 300CE »

huggy76 wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 15:30 Can I ask what colour you painted your bumpers please as I need to do mine and like the look of yours. Thanks in advance

No worries - I had both front and rear bumpers powder coated as it means i won't need to do anything with them again - can't remember the cost but it wasn't outrageous.  I had the wiper arms and some other bits done as well - the more pieces you get done the more cost effective it is.   :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

300CE

Post by 300CE »

dsa wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 16:39 Great job van looks stunning great colour :ok

Cheers DSA  :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb