High Top Removal

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: High Top Removal

Post by keynsham1 »

Lots has happened since I last added to this post. The main thing being that I have decided to send my van off to have the welding done. This is because It will take me ages which I don't have but primarily because I think I lack the skills needed to do a job I would be happy with! So the high top is off and the van went today.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

When the welding is done, I will get the van back to refit the high top before sending it out again for paint. 

The high top was originally just bonded on to the top of the van with what looks like a type of foaming resin. It has split away from the metal roof OK but is never coming off the fiberglass so I am going to cut/saw/grind it away as much as possible, sit the high top back in position and then bond it back in place.

Has anyone done this before and if so what did you use? Sikaflex is a non starter really from what I can see. I would need 20 tubes or more! I need a fiberglass resin but something which is not as runny so more like a paste. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

No sikaflex is the stuff .... I have fitted at least five high tops with it , the biggest issue is ensuring a clean surface on each surface . I think it took four tubes per roof iirc, although it’s getting on for ten years since I did the last one , so I maybe misremembering how many .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I would use a wire brush on an angle grinder to get the foam off. Crazy using foam originally as it isn't usually closed cell so holds water. You could try acetone to remove any traces but I don't think that it will shift it but it will degrease it ready for the polyurethane sealant adhesive.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Any high strength, UV resistant PU adhesive will do, not just Sikaflex. The Westfalia Mosaik Joker install manual says 6 tubes needed for gluing and all around sealing a hightop
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Thanks for all the info. When I said foam I didn't really mean foam. The resin that was originally used was obviously thicker than just runny resin as you can see by the pictures because it has swirls in it which would have settled out with normal resin. The drawing shows where this adhisive was and the pictures show how much was used. That was why to reproduce that would use so much sikaflex!

ImageImageImageImageI guess that just putting the roof back in place and running a bead of sikaflex sealant in the groove doesn't seem to be reproducing the sort of bond that was originally considered necessary by the manufacturer!

I have had a good look at Youtube and other internet sites and the actual bonding of the roof back in position seems to be tactfully avoided in every video! One minute it is off, the next it has been refitted, but no details are ever shown! Really annoying. :D :D :D

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

So having just tried to remove the remaining resin, I have decided not to! It will take years. However As the shape of the resin will fit the shape of the roof panel after it has been repaired (It is after all a moulding of said roof panel!) I have decided to just go over the surface of the existing wedge of resin with a flap disc to remove a millimetre or so, cover the area with Sikaflex and drop the roof back on. Seems obvious now! It will be a few weeks until the welding is done. I will post more pictures as I go!

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

My van is currently being 'fixed' in all the usual places and the roof is also getting repaired. Just a few update pictures for your amusement!

ImageImageImageImageImage

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Nice job!

:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

It has been a while but things are progressing! My roof and gutters are now fully repaired and work on the lower panels has commenced. I am glad I left the welding to the professionals now!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

Work is still going on with my van so I thought I would add a few more pictures as we all like them!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I am busying myself with the hundreds of other tasks that need doing such as redesigning the wiring loom, removing old carpet from liming panels, recolouring the front seats and door cards, etc etc.....

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

I haven't posted anything on here recently (for ages!) so I thought I would put a few of my latest pictures. The van is almost finished. Just a few jobs like fitting an internal roof panel, Rear seat, carpet, fitting water and waste tanks, etc, etc.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Thats a fancy shmancy interior.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Gray81
80-90 Mem No: 3660

Post by Gray81 »

Hi, great work! I am going to add a high top to my van very soon. Did you bond as you previously suggested or go about it another way?
Thanks,
Graham.
1984, 1.9 DG Panel van

keynsham1

Post by keynsham1 »

I bonded the high top back in place using an adhesive sealant:

Ureka | Products | Aro-Seal 1132 Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant (thenamethatsticks.com)

This was recommended to me by Ureka when I asked what would best suit my needs. It is very strong!!

Gray81
80-90 Mem No: 3660

Post by Gray81 »

Excellent, thanks for the info and again, great work!
I have added the hig top to mine now. Went away the weekend with the family and just wish I did it sooner👍
1984, 1.9 DG Panel van