Centre crossmember - purpose of large hole?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Centre crossmember - purpose of large hole?

Post by BigBlueVan »

Hi all,

I'm currently making a new centre crossmember for my van, this is the panel under the floor which the fuel tank strap locate into and also the gear selector rod bush thingy attaches to.

I have looked back through the photos of when I stripped the van down and it appears that the largest hole was not used for anything other than routing a clutch pipe (which looks to have just been thrown in though there rather than factory..
Does anyone know what the purpose of this large hole is? I'll just delete it from my homemade panel if not required, maybe it's for syncro prop?? It does align with the low centre section of the fuel tank.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Centre crossmember - purpose of large hole?

Post by davidoft1 »

:!:
BigBlueVan wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 21:09 Hi all,

I'm currently making a new centre crossmember for my van, this is the panel under the floor which the fuel tank strap locate into and also the gear selector rod bush thingy attaches to.

I have looked back through the photos of when I stripped the van down and it appears that the largest hole was not used for anything other than routing a clutch pipe (which looks to have just been thrown in though there rather than factory..
Does anyone know what the purpose of this large hole is? I'll just delete it from my homemade panel if not required, maybe it's for syncro prop?? It does align with the low centre section of the fuel tank.

Syncro has a different crossmember, I would guess factory fitted eberspacher maybe

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BigBlueVan »

Everyday is a school day,, had to Google "eberspacher" had no idea what that was other than it sounding Germanic.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

BigBlueVan wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 21:56 Everyday is a school day,, had to Google "eberspacher" had no idea what that was other than it sounding Germanic.

I think it is what would have been there

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Water tank maybe? but heater probs the best bet.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

Aircooled T3's (first few years) had a warm air vent/pipe from the rear to the cab for heating, I think that's the hole it passes through
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

Lot of the sheet metal parts were not changed after ditching the Aircooled engines. So you may find some brackets and holes which were never needed later.

As others already said that hole was used on Aircooled for hot air ducting and later they kept it for the additional Eberspacher BA6/DA6 heater which was an option till the end of the lifecycle.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th