Big sunroof on my 1986 T25 Caravelle

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

josephcarey1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Big sunroof on my 1986 T25 Caravelle

Post by josephcarey1 »

Happy new year all!

Does anybody on here have any experience with the big sunroof in the middle of the vehicle at all? I had a search on here and have found one post relating to what I thought might help, but it doesn't give me the information I need.

I have 2 issues.

The first is that it's leaking and leaking really badly actually. So bad that because it's up on the jack as the engine is being rebuilt, the water is running down into the main cabin and the floor is now soaked and so are all my tools I kept inside lol.
I had a look 3 months ago after I bought the van and I can't even see a rubber seal anywhere, so it's either been removed or is somewhere else I can't see. Anyone know where it should be?

The second issue is the handle. as well as the winder handle being broken anyway, it slips when the slider gets to a difficult moving point, so I have to give it a pull whilst winding the handle. I think I've seen replacements on heritage or brick werks, but how does one get the handle out or get access to the mechanism without destroying the headlining?

To be honest, I was tempted to either seal the sunroof up with something and never use it or as going to weld it up and paint over it, again never use it. I think it would probably ruin it though. 

JC

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Big sunroof on my 1986 T25 Caravelle

Post by Aidan »

The full instructions for maintenance of the roof are in the Bentley manual. It sounds like the gears in the winder mechanism are worn, though that maybe the cables. The seal is on the main roof on the edge that the inner roof seals against, it's a felt covered tube that can compress and make a seal, it's not a full seal, it does let some water in and that is dealt with by the inner gutters, if these are blocked then water will get into the cabin.
the seal is available from Brickwerks and elsewhere Brickwerks link

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

The main mechanism consists of 2 cables and a gear , the cables cross over the gear where the handle is.

The mechanism is accessible when the roof is open , you can pull down the headliner on the sliding part to access the fixing etc

The cables run along the side of the opening and connect to the roof via lifting mechanisms, there’s a couple of clips ( I can’t remember exactly as it’s been a while ) you flip them to the side and it allows the sliding roof to be removed from the mechanism and lift the roof out

If it’s slipping either the gear of cables or both are damaged, they are fairly expensive £2-300 last time I did one, as Aiden says the roof is not exactly sealed, the water comes in through the roof and is diverted down the pillars via a gutter system and pipe work into the b and c pillars , I suspect the drains are either blocked or rotten

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Post by Cobra88 »

Hi Joseph

mine has the large steel suroof.

the leaking is usually because drain tubes are blocked

front drain tubes exit at bottom of "B" posts
rear drain tubes are inside the top of the rear vents.

DON't use an airline to clear the tubes (don't ask me how i know)  :(

use an old speedo cable or some flexible wire to poke upwards from the bottom and youll know when youv'e found blockage as it should be like turning on a tap.

Regards
Rick

This is the VW sunroof manual from that time and covers Golf/Sirocco etc but only difference is t25 is bigger and has no "Pop up" wind deflector.
[/url]http://rickpiper.cbfsim.org/files/Sunro ... oledVW.pdf[/url]

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

Thanks for the replies, fellas.
This is actually really helpful. It gives me something to look at now.

I’ll let you know how I get in.

This Bentley book. Is it good as I hear a lot about it? Might have to get a copy.

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

https://vwt25.blog/files/
Copy of Bently manual at this link, free download.
Go to page 818 for sunroof.
Other T25 mauals here too.
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

josephcarey1

Post by josephcarey1 »

hubcap61 wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 10:18 https://vwt25.blog/files/
Copy of Bently manual at this link, free download.
Go to page 818 for sunroof.
Other T25 mauals here too.

Top man! I will have a look.

Thanks a lot