Seat Runner Fixing Method

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BigBlueVan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Seat Runner Fixing Method

Post by BigBlueVan »

Hi All,
The seat runners which were installed in my van were only bolted in using M6 capheads and nutserts.
This does not look standard and there was plenty of additional holes drilled in proximity to them making me think they had been removed at some point as there was evidence of some patch repairs being performed in the past.

What method is acceptable to pass MOT etc for the fixing of these runners..
Welded in or nut and bolt?

Regards.

Rosie n' Jim

Re: Seat Runner Fixing Method

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

Mine, when standard were spot welded. Probably about a dozen in total, in two rows. I assume your nutserts are much the same as a rivnut? Depending on how many are used, they should be of a similar strength. Especially if the nutserts are steel rather than aluminium. 
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

BigBlueVan

Post by BigBlueVan »

Yeh nutserts and rivnuts are the same thing. Being as you have confirmed they were welded at factory I might just refit them that way to avoid any issues. Thanks.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

to put that into context our seats are only fixed to the upper runners by 4 off 6mm HT bolts through the frame into welded half to 3/4 nuts, a lot of 80s era Recaro seats were only secured to the runners the same way, then they went to 6 off, nowadays I think seats might use M8s to bolt them to the runners

bperfrement
80-90 Mem No: 17439

Post by bperfrement »

Just wondering what you did in the end with how to refit your seat runners? I’ve just removed the swivel plate on mine which were bolted to custom heavy duty brackets and then bolted in place. I’ve removed the brackets and swivel and looking to refit the runners in the factory location. I can see a series of holes like you mentioned and assumed they’d been riveted in, but welding makes more sense for strength.

That said I did wonder whether riveting the small holes and then using M8 bolts at each end of each runner would be sufficiently strong. Any thoughts or just forget that and weld back in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

As the seat runners are only holding the seats i they don’t need to be secured like modern seat runners that have seatbelts in built , 2 or 3 stitch welds on the outer edges each side is ample , it’s difficult to weld them in as original as grinding welds inside the runners in near impossible , you can colt them in with a few counter sink bolts too

bperfrement

Post by bperfrement »

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking a couple of M8 high tensile steel bolts per runner should prob be ok.

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

bperfrement wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:38 Thanks. Yeah I was thinking a couple of M8 high tensile steel bolts per runner should prob be ok.

, dont think you’ll be able to adjust the seat if you bolt then like that, maybe counter sunk

bperfrement

Post by bperfrement »

Countersunk