Steering column gaitor/boot

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Steering column gaitor/boot

Post by mariner »

Should there be one of these? I’ve got a lot of air coming into the footwell when travelling 40mph+ and it seems to be coming in at the point the steering column exits the footwell. Have taped round it with gaffer tape and it’s made a difference. Just wondering if it’s missing a gaitor there - maybe lost when PAS steering done?
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Steering column gaitor/boot

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Yes, there should be a large boot at the base of column where it enters the bodywork, bell shaped, just checked mine to verify it.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

mariner

Post by mariner »

Cheers. Just found one on eBay so that should sort it!

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Good, have you checked if there is more to look at in this area, the boot is necessary but is there maybe something else that surrounds the steering column where it goes through the bulkhead in this area like a bush grommet or something probably more visible on yours with the boot missing. Unable to view on mine as boot is in place.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks Tony, good point. All looks okay, there’s some pics below for anyone who might know better than me what I’m looking for.

I noticed on the one I purchased it has 4 holes to attach it. There’s no lugs to push it into, is yours attached using the four screws on the metal plate? Without removing the steering column (which I don’t fancy), I’m going to have to cut a slit in mine to get it over.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it should be a push fit over the circular ring on the plate that is screwed onto the body, the holes in it allow access to the screws, you'll need to split the steering column to fit it properly, if you cut a slit then maybe you'll be able to fit a long thing cable tie around it and secure it to the circular boss but you'll still get some draught through the slit

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Sorry only just notice reply but looks as if Aidan has put you in the picture, thought you would have to split the gaiter to fit it on will have a closer look at mine tomorrow to see if I can follow up with more information. Just looked again at mine, nothing to add it appears that mine is held in place by the weight of the original rubber matting.

mariner

Post by mariner »

Aidan wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 21:00 it should be a push fit over the circular ring on the plate that is screwed onto the body, the holes in it allow access to the screws, you'll need to split the steering column to fit it properly, if you cut a slit then maybe you'll be able to fit a long thing cable tie around it and secure it to the circular boss but you'll still get some draught through the slit

Sorry, resurrecting an old post as never got round to fitting this and plan to now get it sorted. When you say 'split the steering column' what do you mean?  :oops: Is it a case of removing the cross bolt in the picture, pulling out the column, putting on gaiter, inverting gaiter for access and then refitting cross bolt? Cheers. Don't want to start dismantling the steering column and get it wrong!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

yes the lower section of the steering column will separate at the splined joint in your photo, be aware of the horn earth wire which runs through the column as it is fixed to the cross bolt on the other side of the rubber bush below the metal plate so you need to remove the lower cross bolt on the steering relay below to disconnect the earth first; because the steering column is partially collapsible the short section will move toward the steering wheel as it is held in the rubber grommets of the top section, then you will have a gap to fit the boot to the short lower column

here's the lower column with boot removed from the relay box at the lower joint, the earth wire is fitted under head of bolt next to it

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks. A great help.