Footwell water leak

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dannylad
80-90 Mem No: 1

Footwell water leak

Post by dannylad »

Found a strange place to be having the above mentioned water leak.

It's on the passenger side behind the radiator cap and I've pictured it and circled it.
I've checked under the dash no water what so ever just this spot that could only be coming from the front maybe headlight area as it drips and runs off?

Has anyone come across this before and could possibly have the quick fix for this.. I have taped the spot I think its running in but it then stopped raining.Image

dannylad

Re: Footwell water leak

Post by dannylad »

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Never seen leaks there, If you are getting water in the footwell my guess from experience is it's more likely running from the corner of windscreen as they tend to rust out there.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Yes looks like a windscreen leak between the rubber and metal, Ive had the same issue, normally collects elsewhere also, have you looked in areas further to the right in the footwell area and up behind the dashboard, you may find some more drops there (just noticed you checked there), If not it could be more localised to where you have circled. I suspected my leak was coming from the same area behind the lights and the windscreen but very difficult to narrow down the exact spot.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

dannylad

Post by dannylad »

Thanks guys, 

no i have fixed up the windows and did a decent job of stopping them leaking. This is when it pissed down today i went to check and got the small one in the 2nd picture.

I'm gonna try taking the front grill off and see if it is coming in from the left headlamp area (1st pic) and running down a seam on the joint.

I'll come back and let anyone whos got similar problems what i found then. 

Its only a slight trickle so while its stripped inside for a makeover i'm addressing and uncovering a few leakages so far that been unknown for years/decades  :ok

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Good luck with the leek, when you say radiator cap?
The second picture? That's the washer bottle filler
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

dannylad

Post by dannylad »

Dazco wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 09:40 Good luck with the leek, when you say radiator cap?
The second picture? That's the washer bottle filler

Thanks dazco,

Ah, just slipped mind the engines at the back Haha.

Well I found the leak..

Took off the grill sent my phone down on video and saw a lot of rust. Got a better full on view from taking the indicator out!
It was a seam getting in there :ok Image

ImageImage

Give the area a good clean and treated it for the rust.
When that's ready I'll seal up all around there and might have a water tight van finally :)

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Hope you have solved it, but isn't the leak more above the indicator void in the area at the back of the headlight maybe, and what you are seeing through the indicator hole is remnants of the leak as it travels down from above.

dannylad

Post by dannylad »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 15:46 Hope you have solved it, but isn't the leak more above the indicator void in the area at the back of the headlight maybe, and what you are seeing through the indicator hole is remnants of the leak as it travels down from above.

Hi Tony,

Thanks hope so too.

Above was the first place i looked and all was well in that area and i needed to find out what was going on below letting in there. So i got my phone on video with the flash on and sent it down to film as much as possible.
All that was wrong was what you can see on the second picture from where the water that gets in through the headlight part is supposed to run off and falls to the ground.

I've cleaned treated and siliconed all around there now so fingers crossed it won't leak on the next monsoon  :)

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I still get a few puddles in mine after a good downpour, but always catch it after the rain has stopped and everything has settled, I think I will have to look at it when it does rain again even if it means sitting in the van waiting for the drips hoping the neighbours don't think I've lost it. :idea:

dannylad

Post by dannylad »

Haha i know what you mean.. i sometimes just sit in it for a chill anyway even though its completely empty apart from the seats.
If you get on your back and put your head right under the parcel shelf (my feet where on the drivers seat raised) you can actually see all the way up to the windscreen Tony. I shone my phone torch up and spotted where was still letting in after sealing so doubled up in places.
Not sure about drivers side luckily thats completely dry now.

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

How good are you door seals? I get water in both front footwells and I know it isn't from the windscreen but there is a path from the door seal at the front top where it runs down the leading edge of the door window. I have new seals but because they are a loop, and the door stay and speaker wires go through them, I have never go around to fitting them. That and the fact that I think they are glued on around the door edge with no obvious channel to fit in!!

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I think my leak still originates from the windscreen or even where the antennae is fitted, the door seals are ok but not perfect but the leak settles more in the foot well not the foot step if that makes sense.

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

Try a bit of Vaseline around the antenna where it meets the bodywork. I do the same around the wiper and wiper jets.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1987 1.9 DG pop-top

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Interesting, members may cringe when I say this but I have a length of coat hanger steel in my aerial to extend it as the extension had been snapped off, keep meaning to replace the whole lot with a new complete aerial, more reminders of what to do.