Sliding door alignment

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

glennh237
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sliding door alignment

Post by glennh237 »

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of sliding door advice after ours just came off while I was opening it. Managed to get it back on and it's working/locking as it was but there's very noticable extra squeaks and it seems to be way out of alignment. We're new to this so bear with me!

I've attached some photos below but basically I've noticed that as it is the top nylon guide sits about 10mm off the top of the channel (apologies if my phrasing's all wrong here!). If I lift the door to get the top guide 'flush' then obviously the bottom roller is too high and just 'floating'. The middle runner seems totally fine so I'm wondering if either the top or bottom can be adjusted OR is there an outer rim to the bottom roller wheel that fell off along with the door? That's the only way I can think that the door could be raised if nothing is adjustable, unless there's a section completely missing at the bottom that the wheel should run on.....? Oh yeah, in the fifth pic you can see the gap when the door's locked.

I will be cleaning out these channels as they're pretty caked, was also going to grease them lightly but I've read, on here maybe, not to bother as that will cause the wheels to slide.....man, it's a minefield :D

I'm sure the pics will describe this a lot better that I have, any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Glenn

1 - Gap at the top with door half open.

2 - Gap when door's closed and locked

3 - How it looks when closed.

4 - another of the top gap

5 - closed from a different angle

6 - Gap from inside when the door's closed

7 - The wheel at the bottom when I'm pushing the door to get the top flush

8 - Bottom wheel in 'normal' mode

Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Sliding door alignment

Post by slowcoach »

I'm not an expert on sliding doors, far from it, but I have the same early door, and also have a gap like yours above the top guide between it and the channel ceiling. Mine has a roller bearing in that position though. It works fine like this.

You have two handles on the outside of your slider, now that's new
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Have you checked the central rear door mechanism, the bit that pulls it in when closed, I had a bolt missing from the door on mine which caused some distortion.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Itsblue
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Itsblue »

looks to me like the bottom roller ass is out of alignment or is loose , there are three bolts that hold it on i would take a look there .....
Aircooled 2.0 1980 under reconstruction !