window installation procedure

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Luftmensch
80-90 Mem No: 16738

window installation procedure

Post by Luftmensch »

Hello Everyone,
 I recently purchased a second hand aftermarket sliding window (middle side) for a panel van conversion I’m doing and before I begin I just thought I’d post this question about installation technique:
 I am aware of the “trick” using a piece of cord inserted into the groove of the seal to help in pulling the lip of the seal over the edge of the window aperture. However, it occurred to me that the installation the window using the seal that came with this window might not require resorting to this technique due to the way the shape of the seal has been designed (see attached image).  Am I correct in assuming that there is another component to this seal that is missing (a rubber strip to be inserted into the diamond shaped gap)?

Jackrobbo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: window installation procedure

Post by Jackrobbo »

Luftmensch wrote:Hello Everyone,
 I recently purchased a second hand aftermarket sliding window (middle side) for a panel van conversion I’m doing and before I begin I just thought I’d post this question about installation technique:
 I am aware of the “trick” using a piece of cord inserted into the groove of the seal to help in pulling the lip of the seal over the edge of the window aperture. However, it occurred to me that the installation the window using the seal that came with this window might not require resorting to this technique due to the way the shape of the seal has been designed (see attached image).  Am I correct in assuming that there is another component to this seal that is missing (a rubber strip to be inserted into the diamond shaped gap)?
When fitting my panel conversion windows... I found it easier to use some trim pry bars and a pair of blunt screw drivers I put the rubbers in the frames then sat the glass into the bottoms then pryd in. And yes there should be a trim that sits in the middle and you will need a diamond tool to fit it. This will hold the glass securely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Claytonright seals. You need the beading and tool. Well technically you do. I have used a screwdriver before. But this tool makes it a doddle.
Contact sealsdirect. Good old fashioned service.
If you are near Margate you can borrow mine.
See below.

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

Thanks to both of you for your reply.
Maxstu, thanks for the photo, that helps. And, great of you to offer the tool (unfortunately I'm not near Margate though). Did you cut the window hole yourself, or were you simply replacing the glass?

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Luftmensch wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 08:24 Thanks to both of you for your reply.
Maxstu, thanks for the photo, that helps. And, great of you to offer the tool (unfortunately I'm not near Margate though). Did you cut the window hole yourself, or were you simply replacing the glass?

Not likely!! Too scared to cut hole. Just replaced seals. Very easy.
If you are cutting hole, speak with Sealsdirect. You will need to allow for web. The size between cut out and window size. Normally about 3.5mm on all sides
MaxStu

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

The 'web' size you mention (3.5mm) .... is this to account for the thickness of the seal between cut-out aperture and glass, or is this in addition to that thickness?
also, the insert strip that goes into the slot in the seal .... it is diamond-shape in profile, correct?

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Yes you are correct. Diamond shape profile. Claytonrite. Not Claytonright as l mistakenly typed earlier.
Web is the gap between glass and cutout.
In your case you want seals 2 or 3mm metalwork with 4 or 5mm glass with a web of 7mm. This means your cutout is 3.5mm max. bigger than glass on all sides.
Get one of these from B&Q. Makes a huge difference. Make sure window is squeaky clean before using though. Mount first, but only use to hold glass when window in lower part of seal.
Whereabouts in London are you? Im often in Mottingham/Sidcup area

MaxStu

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

Thanks for the tip.
I live in Deptford SE8.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

If in no rush, l may be in Blackheath in August. Have you cut hole yet?
MaxStu

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

Haven't cut yet. I really appreciate your offer however I need to complete the project by july 29, before we take the van on the road for a weeklong trip.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Okay and good luck :ok

Get the beading tool. You wont regret it.
And use a spray dispenser with soapy water.
Post back how it ended...successfully lm sure... :D
MaxStu

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

As maxstu says those tools make the job 1000 time easier. I took out my sliding window recently and putting it back in was a nightmare. I was using a screwdriver to push the strip in and I gashed the van and myself a few times doing that.

Since then I've had to replace my sliding door window seal, so I got the tool for it and it went from a 30 min mess to about 5 mins of ease. Amazing what happens when you get the right tool for the job.
:whistle
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

great. thanks for letting me know.
....will get back to you when it's done.
cheers

Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

So, the window is in! No real problems throughout the procedure. I used a jig saw which worked just fine. Finished the edges with  a combination of a hand file, rotary sanding drum (on a standard electric drill), some sand paper here and there, and an angle grinder to cut through the interior panel bracing member. ... Sprayed exposed edges with primer....  Fitting the window into the seal was a little time consuming due to the tight fit but I had my wife give a gentle push on the seal from the inside as I was prying the seal lip over the window (any innuendo suggested here is purely unintended)  which helped notably. Thanks for your suggestions and insisting on getting the lacing tool .... it made inserting the locking strip nearly as easy as zipping up my winter coat. We're off to Normandy and now at least the kids won't be able to complain about a lack of light and air in the van (although there'll still be plenty they'll complain about).
Cheers Mates!

P.S. ... would recommend Seals Direct as suggested ... only problem was they used DPD as courier and although I requested next day before 12:00, the package sat in their depot for an extra day. Got delivery refunded though and the job was finished on time so all's well that ends well.