Fitting Claytonrite Seals To Fibreglass Hightop.

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Fitting Claytonrite Seals To Fibreglass Hightop.

Post by maxstu »

Ive started a new post to save readers going through my original ramblings. However there is some pertinent info to read. So link to old post added below.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=171372

I recommend using Sealsdirect. Good old fashion service. Phoned, discussed and ordered online (my choice) same afternoon. And delivered morning, plus one day later.
My Leisuredrive hightop windows have a circumference (bit of string taped around old in situ seal and measured) of 2.1 metres each. So five metres of 3mm fibreglass and 5mm glass, with a 7mm web ordered. With beading £38.00 delivered.
Equipment.
Stepladder.
Beading tool.
Double cup suction lifter glazing tool (optional) but ideal if working solo.
Stanley knife.
25mm Paint scrapper.
Sturdy scissors.
Spray bottle with 50/50 washing up liquid and water.
Wooden laundry pegs (optional).
Superglue (optional).
Patience (mandatory).
The new and the old....
Remove existing beading by pulling away from seal.
Cut old seal along top edge with stanley knife and carefully remove glass.
Image.
Remove rest of seal and give fibreglass surround a good clean.
Starting from middle top of cutout (debatable) feed new seal around opening, making certain it is fully seated. Check and check again it is properly seated. Otherwise a gap will appear when window is added.
Cut new seal as squarely as possible with a 3-5mm overlap. Sorry about photo quality..... wobbly steps!
Butt up edges of seal and add a tiny spot of Superglue to each end to stick to fibreglass. Not needed if you have a helper inside camper holding seal ends together.
Leave seal for 10 minutes to settle. Have a brew. Patience please.
Clean glass meticulously. It will help. I used Rubbing Alcohol to get it squeaky clean so l could use glazing holder.
Carefully attach suction lifter. Not really necessary but well worth it. Cost about £6.00.
Spray washing up mixture around seal and seat base of glass in seal. Make sure bottom of glass sits all the way home. Keep glass pane vertical at this stage. Once home gently ease glass sides' into seal with careful use of paint scrapper and plenty of spray mixture, working up each side in equal measures. Use the palm of your hand to knock glass. It will help it seat centrally. Keep using plenty of spray.
Use half a wooden clothes peg (top left) to prevent glass popping back out while you work up other side. A bit like adding a cycle tyre to wheel rim. Disregard tape. It fails once wet. Superseded by Superglue.
The knack is to keep light pressure on glass, easing blade behind glass into seal recess and flipping over glass. Do it very gently in small steps with lots and lots of soapy spray. In the end glass will finally be in place...and a smile on your mug will appear.
Gently palm knock around glass where it meets seal. This will help it to centre.
It's in!
Time to add beading. It can be done without special tool. I've fitted a few panel windows without one, using a screwdriver (never again!) instead. But it is so easy to use. A worthy investment.
Starting at the bottom, opposed to top for seal, press beading inside seal gap using plenty of soapy spray. The tool will open seal and insert beading. Roll beading slowing around seal. If it pops out...it will..leave it and restart procedure.
Carry on...and come back to it when finished. Use peg end to push it in.
Cut beading with 3-5mm overlap like main seal. Butt ends of beading as you did with seal.
Finally give it another soapy spray and slowly run tip of wooden peg all around both sides of beading to make sure it is seated properly in seal. It should run nice and smooth.
Clean hightop and windows.
Top of window seal join.
Bottom of window bead join.
Pat yourself on the back!.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Fitting Claytonrite Seals To Fibreglass Hightop.

Post by maxstu »

One minor note...don't be tempted to cut new seal to same length as removed old seal. It often ends up too short once in frame. String measurement first around old seal before removing it and then add 25-50mm. You can alway cut away a little when fitted in frame.
:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Fitting Claytonrite Seals To Fibreglass Hightop.

Post by Stesaw »

What I noticed when removing my old seals (was painting the van, til the rain came :roll: ) the joins were all over the place. One was at the top where seals direct and yourself have said to put it, one was on the rear vertical side of the seal and the other was on the bottom side... 

Does it even matter where the join is as long as it's cut flush and is snug in there?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project