(non) sliding door

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

(non) sliding door

Post by matteo »

I can't open my sliding door. I've spent a couple of evenings trying to figure it out, and I'm stuck (like the door)!

It's an early door and I think the problem might be in the central lock (pictured below) - is this the only mechanism that releases the door? On turning the handle the cable moves but it doesn't release the lock (centre rear of door). There's no real tension pulling the cable backwards. Normally what would create tension on the cable - something inside the lock?

It's a catch 22 (!) as I need to open the door to remove/inspect the lock - argh!

Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions are very welcome - thanks

Matteo
---
1980 CU 2lImage
1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Re: (non) sliding door

Post by waltraud »

Grease in old locks and mechanisms can dry out and get non sticky. Coul try flushing with brake cleaner especially the spring Are near tgd hinge

Sent from my HMA-L09 using Tapatalk

1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

My door did this once.
Although it looked shut (all but a gnats cracker) it was like it hadn't latched properly at the rear of door ( a helpful 'bodyslam' against it to finsih the latching) and the open from inside whilst pushing firmly out against the rear edge of the door.  (watch your hands wehn it goes though).

Another time (years ago on our first van a T4) I actually took the whole door off because it wouldn't open from the inside - where as it had done until I changed the bottom roller and fitted insulation inside it.  I lay it on the grass to trouble shoot the issue and traced the mechanism to find a child lock - :rofl   that's a secret so don't tell anyone :mrgreen:

1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

Post by matteo »

Thanks guys I'll try these suggestions this weekend. This door hasn't been opened for 2-3 years (it's a twin slider and behind units).
I put a load of morrisons MD40 penetrating fluid in earlier in the week.
1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!