Adjusting the sliding door

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Adjusting the sliding door

Post by pleasestartnow »

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I'm just doing odd jobs around the van and one job that has been annoying me for a while is the sliding door being slightly out of line. It is slightly lower and looks like it is popping out a bit when closed. The door slides open and close no issue and if i push in on the left of the door when closing it, it doesn't seem as out of line. So I am just wondering is there a way to adjust it easily or is it a take off the door job?

Also lately it will sometimes slide open when driving, I think this is maybe the latch teeth being possibly worn. When I went to look today, it looks like there is a screw missing from the latch but there is no thread or sign of there previously being thread for a screw to grip and I can move the latch left and right. I am guessing possibly if the latch is not in the right position then it won't catch properly and hence may unlock itself. Should there be two screws in the latch? Is it a problem that I can move it left or right a bit despite the existing single screw being secure.

1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Adjusting the sliding door

Post by Aidan »

yes there should be two screws holding the catch in and preventing it from spreading
the pin the catch latches onto can move so slightly loosening it and pushing it inwards and retightening it should get the shutline right
the height at the rear is adjusted by the rear hinge plate which is held by three bolts in the door, you need to remove the door card to access them
the height at the front is adjusted on the plate that holds the roller the bolts on the vertical plate at the bottom of the door ned to be loosened the door adjusted and then bolts retightened
it helps to have someone with a good eye, another pair of hands and some small wooden wedges to get it all right and save damaging the paint with metal pry bars

pleasestartnow
80-90 Mem No: 11015

Re: Adjusting the sliding door

Post by pleasestartnow »

Loads of info there, thank you so much. I will get tinkering this afternoon. Appreciate it
1Y 1990 5 speed 1.9D