Rustoleum not going off over sealant

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Rustoleum not going off over sealant

Post by ash1293 »

Prepped and painted van last year but never got chance to finish off the door shuts.

Where appropriate I opted to use pu40 polyurethane sealant as a seam sealer as appeared suitable.

Door shuts got one light coat at the time but no further.

Yesterday I decided to throw on another coat in an attempt to cross off another job in the time I had (recalled from furlough last week)

Last night it was tacky but appeared to have skinned, so gentle shut door on catch with some grease proof paper to protect rubber.

This morning it seems to be much more tacky! Any pointers? Just gentle heat and time?

NOTE: This is just over the sealant, other areas seem fine.

8hrs later and no real improvement so I've taken a cloth with spirits on and wiped over the area. Removed paint from sealant only.

Any tips of where to go from here?
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

ash1293

Re: Rustoleum not going off over sealant

Post by ash1293 »

Can only think the sealant must but be fully cured. If that’s the case it’s either faulty or contaminated so the nasty feeling I’m going to have to remove and re apply is creeping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Soz for the slow reply, AT gave me a heads-up.. I've started to use Combicolor in the last year and a bit, to finish sections I've repaired on my pickup and kombi. It has some excellent qualities and I really see its appeal, and I anticipate continuing to use it.

However, I've had a similar experience to yourself. eg. Combicolor fails to cure when painted over PU sealant, also Upol grey brushing seamsealer. When I first encountered this I was a bit surprised, given the apparent popularity of the paint and the ubiquity in automotive repairs of Sikaflex. When I posted on here about the problem I was dismayed at the lack of response.

My approach to dealing with the problem, was to use white spirit to clean the un-cured Combicolor off the PU sealant, then re-paint over the PU with some other paint (the color component of some L90D two-pack had left-over in a jar from 2005, this air-cures fine). Then repaint with Combicolor. For the area of Combicolor I'd put onto Upol seamsealer, I just left it for about four weeks, and eventually it cured.

HTH
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

Cheers for the info.

I’ve resorted to digging out the offending pu on the side I’m sorting. It was still very soft, almost set silicone texture.

Reading around I’ve noticed a few reports where the pu has been smoothed off with spirits it can fail to cure properly so I’m wondering if that’s an element in the problems I was having.

Going to try a fresh tube of tiger seal and see how it goes. If I have similar problems I’ll definitely try to seal it with a rattle can first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

I had the very same problem a few years ago when I seam sealed the battery tray on my old Bay window and then painted over with Rustoleum. As per Syncroandy I left that area and the paint eventually went off but it was inside the rear corner so dust and dirt would have inevitably stuck to it. You would not have this luxury if van is kept outside or it's the exterior / cosmetic bodywork. Once I discovered this issue then any further seam sealer was painted over with whatever car body paint in a rattle can I had laying around before painting over with Rustoleum.

I think I have just made the same mistake on my T3 with using Hammerite on the bare metal of a seam as a temporary repair and suspect that I cannot use my brush on seam sealer over the top to fill the panel join unless anyone has had relative success...?

Given enough time for the seam sealer to fully cure and release the VOC's The Rustoleum might be able to be directly applied but from what I have researched it appears a suitable Polyurethane based primer or paint is needed for best results.
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)
1992 Golf II Syncro Country