Brazing or soldering or weld

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brazing or soldering or weld

Post by Da dan »

I’m just thinking as I will need to do some work soon and this got me thinking. If it’s not in a high stress zone ie little window repairs and piecing in could I use a high silver content solider? Or will this just crack in time? Either that or thinking of getting a little mig welder? Any cheap (but good) recommendations welcome. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Kenny
80-90 Mem No: 10965

Re: Brazing or soldering or weld

Post by King Kenny »

I would not use any solder or brazing. A MIG welder from Clarke or SIP are the ones to go for. Stay away from gas less. On very thin metal use a multiple spot weld technique and take your time. Practice on some scrap metal. These are very brief pointers as there are plenty of tips available on the internet.
I don't know where I am, but I'm having a lovely time!

1990 CARAVELLE 1.9cc petrol : watercooled

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Brazing has its uses - even Plasticman has put up pics of repairs around windscreen using brazing. It is ideal for thin metal as well. An underused method IMHO. ( The heat is the main drawback in some areas.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

indeed, say you have a small hole( size of a split lentil ....) what do you do with it. put a patch over it , about the worst thing you could do , cut it out and let a piece of metal back in , or grit blast it and braze it in (non ferrous) or tin it and lead it,, the latter 2 i do all the time ,
mm :ok

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I had small sections of the rear window flange and a small area around the filler tank aperture that needed repair and used solder and a 100W high power soldering iron. The sections were very small and I didn't want to damage the surrounding paintwork if I could avoid doing so . Did it many years ago and never been a problem as these were not stressed areas.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior