Boosting early heater

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Asw
80-90 Mem No: 12781

Boosting early heater

Post by Asw »

Hi.
We have a air cooled camper with the very simple heater. The heat exchangers generate plenty of heat but the air flow is not great.
I am thinking of adding a booster fan in the hot air duct . Has anyone done this?
Would it be worth it?
If I did what diameter is the under van duct?
Thanks in advance
Ultimately, are we not all air cooled?
1981 Devon Moonraker, CU engine

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

Re: Boosting early heater

Post by mike the van »

I had similar issues on my van, plenty of heat coming out of the heat exchangers. There is loads of advice on the samba.com system is very similar to a Bay camper. There are plenty of diagrams that show the parts and the set up. Hope the following helps?

Go through the whole system from back to front. Check that all the joints on the system are tight with no leaks, also check the control pods are opening, they have cables that run from the dash controls and attach to levers on the pods.these need adjusting to pen and close smoothly.
Another thing I found when insulating the big fat heater pipe underneath, black corrugated paper tube was that at the end nearest the dash behind the grill it was full of 35 years worth of little dried paper bits from the inside layer of the pipe, nearly solid so no wonder no heat getting through. The pipe is held to the heater plenum with a big jubilee clip undo it and use a vacuum cleaner to sook it all out. Bit of a hassle but when it works it can get pretty toasty. Being air tight and no leaks is the real way to get it working.

Mike

(Holdsworth 2.0 l CU

Asw
80-90 Mem No: 12781

Post by Asw »

Thanks for advice. The cable control to the air valves is definitely in need of adjustment so I’ll look at that. Thought about replacing the long hot air run with something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STERR-Insulate ... BZ40O64DFF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And using foil tape on the joints at the back.

I’ll report back with any progress.
Ultimately, are we not all air cooled?
1981 Devon Moonraker, CU engine

mike the van
80-90 Mem No: 1491

Post by mike the van »

That’s the same type of pipe I used, that’s how I found the pipe was clogged when replacing original to get better heat, only trouble was that where it goes through chassis member and then over petrol tank impossible to fit without dropping the tank. I ended up leaving the tank as original , insulated up to chassis member , better than none at all. Diameter of pipe needs to match original. Good luck struggling with jubilee clips and alumininium tape.

Mike