Bumper End Caps

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TheDocmeister
80-90 Mem No: 15421

Bumper End Caps

Post by TheDocmeister »

I've just lost a bumper end cap on the motorway, so no hope of retrieving it unfortunately!
Question is, has anybody bought new ones recently and can comment on quality? All four of mine were original VW parts, but there seem to be Klokkerholm and Starline replacements out there at the moment. Do I look for a used VW replacement or are the aftermarket ones decent enough?
To be honest, after straightening and repainting my bumpers, the originals are looking quite ropey and the one that came off had lost most of the clips at the bumper end, but I'm not into blowing £50 on new end caps, mounts and bolt covers if the quality is poor...
1982 2.0 Aircooled CI Autohomes Kamper

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Bumper End Caps

Post by jrt »

I bought some last year and they are fine. I think it's the aftermarket bumpers that are bobbins.
David.
the future is unwritten

TheDocmeister

Post by TheDocmeister »

Nice one David, it does concern me that finding decent 30+ yr old end caps might be tricky!
Where did you get yours from and do you know what make they were?

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

TheDocmeister wrote:Nice one David, it does concern me that finding decent 30+ yr old end caps might be tricky!

I got my end caps from eurocarparts for not much over £4 a corner with one of their never ending discounts.

Seemed ok to me, can't remember the manufacturer, probably not as good as a nice pair of originals but do the job fine.

I didn't fit through the body - just bolted to the bumper, that way if someone does manage to catch it its less likley to rip a hole in the body as the fixing pulls through.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

TheDocmeister

Post by TheDocmeister »

Thanks for that - Euro are doing the Starline ones just now and for the same sort of money.
Brickwerks seem to have the Klockerholm ones but I could use the fitting kit and bolt covers too.
JK have the lot for just under the £50 free shipping threshold- but I'd want to call them to find out which brand they supply...

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

TheDocmeister wrote:Nice one David, it does concern me that finding decent 30+ yr old end caps might be tricky!
I got the JK one's.
David.
the future is unwritten

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

TheDocmeister wrote:Thanks for that - Euro are doing the Starline ones just now and for the same sort of money.
Brickwerks seem to have the Klockerholm ones but I could use the fitting kit and bolt covers too.
JK have the lot for just under the £50 free shipping threshold- but I'd want to call them to find out which brand they supply...

The eurocarparta ones I got have stood up to the test of time ok - only difference was the way I chose to mount.
I used a single stainless dome head socket bolt - in hindsight I would maybe use a black finished one.

Even with just the one bolt through the bumper they have been very secure.
So for less than £20 I had 4 new caps and hardware to fit.

Depends how original you want to be.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

Elsaetka
80-90 Mem No: 2639

Post by Elsaetka »

I too have the same problem, but can't see end caps on the Euro Car Parts website, unless it's me.

I have a 1990 'big bumper model' as I believe it's known as, and need both sides rear.

I see Brickwerks seem to have them in flat grey primer, I was going to post a request for help to see what fellow owners thought.

Would have been great to be able to buy black ones to pop straight on but if the Brickwerks type is recommended then I would just have to spray myself or get someone to paint them?

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

Elsaetka wrote:I too have the same problem, but can't see end caps on the Euro Car Parts website, unless it's me.

I have a 1990 'big bumper model' as I believe it's known as, and need both sides rear.

I see Brickwerks seem to have them in flat grey primer, I was going to post a request for help to see what fellow owners thought.

Would have been great to be able to buy black ones to pop straight on but if the Brickwerks type is recommended then I would just have to spray myself or get someone to paint them?
B and B components in Maidstone Kent have black ones

TheDocmeister

Post by TheDocmeister »

A set of four has arrived from Eurocarparts for just over £18 delivered. Look great, only issue being the hole on the front face - for a coach bolt I assume.
Plastic seems decent quality, colour is a nice even black and it's not brittle. Other than the aforementioned hole they look to be a straight copy. Pics later...

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

TheDocmeister wrote:A set of four has arrived from Eurocarparts for just over £18 delivered. Look great, only issue being the hole on the front face - for a coach bolt I assume.
Plastic seems decent quality, colour is a nice even black and it's not brittle. Other than the aforementioned hole they look to be a straight copy. Pics later...

The coach bolt hole is the same on genuine ones

TheDocmeister

Post by TheDocmeister »

I noticed on closer examination that the rear bumper caps had a bolt through them, but guessing at the moment that that hole might be opened up for rear fitment. Will try and have a better look tomorrow!