Rust-oleum not "going off" on sealant

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rosco
80-90 Mem No: 17521

Rust-oleum not "going off" on sealant

Post by rosco »

Hi all
I recently vactan treated and painted my engine bay with Rust-oleum Combicolour, and am really pleased with the results. However, I also needed to patch weld some particularly rusty areas (behind the lights for example) and used polyurethane sealant to seal the joins.

The problem is that in some locations the paint has "gone off" of top of the sealant just fine (I basically did a trial run which worked!), but in others it just doesn't seem to go off at all no matter how long I leave it. I left some for 3 weeks (lockdown has slowed progress on the van) and it was still wet and wiped off with white spirit (only over the sealant, everywhere else it was fine). I then repainted it a few days ago, checked this morning and same problem, the paint is still wet but only directly over the sealant.

Has anyone experienced this problem and does anyone have any solutions, please?

Thanks

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Rust-oleum not "going off" on sealant

Post by davidoft1 »

What sealer did you use ?

rosco

Post by rosco »

I used "Puraflex" as it was available off the shelf and states that it is overpaintable.

https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40 ... 0ml/p67949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Should be fine on that looking at the info, hmmm did you let it cure long enough? Probably gonna have to re-do it

rosco

Post by rosco »

Thank you for this, do you mean redo the paint? If so I have already tried that and it doesnt seem to have helped.

Or redo the sealant? Hopefully not but needs must!

Maybe I could try some primer below the rustoleum? Pain that I can't really get out to get primer at the moment due to lockdown though.