Sliding sunroof roofcut

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JeffRoo
80-90 Mem No: 15579

Sliding sunroof roofcut

Post by JeffRoo »

Hi all
Seen in eBay a sliding roof roof cut is available. I’m no welder, so I was wondering how easy it would be to get this put onto my tin top, obviously by a competent person. Or is this something that should be steered well clear of?
84 Caravelle 1.9DG

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Sliding sunroof roofcut

Post by Da dan »

Sounds like a great idea in summer but leaky and wet the rest of the time. Or I’m just imagining it differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

If it’s the original vw moon roof it’s a major job, like the whole roof transplant , every thing behind the "b" pillar is different to a tin top .

Ask Simon Baxter, he transplanted on onto his syncro twin Slider panel van a while back
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

drill out a few hundred spot welds and separate the roof from the rest of the shell, do the same to the big sunroof roof to split the two skins and then weld it back on to the panel van one skin at a time ; there was a really good thread where one of the guys did it, Jon from Darlington, I can't remember his user name, it may have been posted in Brickyard forum so go there and have a try using the search function to find the thread. It helped that he had access to a big spot welder.