New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Post by Just_Kitt »

Ok, so after a lot of research it seems that Plywood hardwood is the best material for them. My current ones have gone mouldy and I am thinking a lot of varnish and a coating of PVA on the new ones will prevent this? and also hopefully this will stop them warping when they get damp as they inevitably will.... has anyone else tried this approach? I don't want to be re-doing them again in 2 years!
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I used 4 mm ply coated with epoxy resin.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I used 4 mm ply coated with epoxy resin.

Know anywhere that sells just the cab door cards in plywood? Trying to decide if to make/cover my own or just splash out on some new Jk ones but I suspect the Vinyl quality may not be great.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I've seen done on eBay pretty recently? Someone CNC cutting them out, all panels available..
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

I would avoid painting things with PVA unless you planning on plastering them! If it gets wet they will just go skanky. If you are going for the wood look, a PU varnish would be a good idea. As many coats as you can stand, de-nibbed between each coat with fine paper or wire wool. If you are going to glue vinyl or other covering to them ply ones will be fine as is but a couple of coats of PU on the back should ensure longevity.
1988 1.9 DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

yacht varnish.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Just_Kitt

Post by Just_Kitt »

ash1293 wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote:I used 4 mm ply coated with epoxy resin.

Know anywhere that sells just the cab door cards in plywood? Trying to decide if to make/cover my own or just splash out on some new Jk ones but I suspect the Vinyl quality may not be great.

I had a look at the Just Campers ones and notice they are made of MDF - I foresee this being a nightmare as soon as they get damp! My last set warped badly on the doors so trying to do every thing to avoid it this time. Definitely going to do a coat of varnish front and back (even though I plan to vynal cover them any way) considering buying this set off ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-Trans ... SwYHxWOUU3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - all seems in order and not totally breaking the bank!

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

Just_Kitt wrote: I had a look at the Just Campers ones and notice they are made of MDF - I foresee this being a nightmare as soon as they get damp! My last set warped badly on the doors so trying to do every thing to avoid it this time. Definitely going to do a coat of varnish front and back (even though I plan to vynal cover them any way) considering buying this set off ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-Trans ... SwYHxWOUU3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - all seems in order and not totally breaking the bank!

Was aware of the MDF issue with the blanks from JK, wasn't sure if their covered ones were MDF also.

Those from ebay look ok but they don't appear to list just the cab doors - may have to drop them a line.

Just_Kitt

Post by Just_Kitt »

Yer, I ideally don't want to replace them all either, but that is looking like the most sensible idea right now, since cutting them out myself is going to be alot of work and actually not that much cheeper as I need to replace the boot/sliding door ones as well.

I imagine you could ask if they would sell you individual cards, see no reason why they wouldn't as it's all money for them!

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

ash1293 wrote:
Those from ebay look ok but they don't appear to list just the cab doors - may have to drop them a line.

I tried that and got no reply but no harm in lots of people doing it then they will realise they are missing out on business.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

I had reply - £35 inc del for cab door cards delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Great.
Can you please respond asking them to put that up as an item on ebay because others want to buy it.
then post the link.
Door cards are the most wanted cards because they damage due to the wind down windows.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

itchyfeet wrote:Great.
Can you please respond asking them to put that up as an item on ebay because others want to buy it.

:ok Already done, just waiting to hear back.

Any suggestions on a better clip as the ones listed for the T25 seem to get mixed reviews?

Just_Kitt

Post by Just_Kitt »

ash1293 wrote:
Any suggestions on a better clip as the ones listed for the T25 seem to get mixed reviews?

I am going for the Trim Clips (push fit) from brickwerks as I want a riveted look on mine, but they do the consealed ones too and in my experience all of brickwerks stuff is pretty sound stuff.

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

I have a set of cab door cards on their way so I have them ready for when I tackle it.

It has been a little bit of a pain to arrange and will report more when they arrive. Following no response through ebay I used their contact form on their webpage and had a reply the same day with a payment request email.

While I have asked them for a link/listing on either ebay or their webpage so that I can post on here they have not responded.