New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Re: New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Post by Just_Kitt »

My set of full cards has arrived and they are perfect, would really recommend them. Great quality strong plywood and really well cut to size.
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

Mine have also arrived - although very happy for what I intend there are a couple of points of note for others.

1) Excellent packing for courier delivery - first class.

2) Mine arrived with some very slight water staining and cards have slight bow - now laid flat and will be fine for covering as I intend.

3) *IF* you intend to just varnish and leave 'bare wood' if may be worth stating that when you order as mine are slightly diferent colours of plywood. Again not an issue for me.

Overall I would definitely recommend over the MDF options out there.

As for clips I ahve ordered up some slightly more expensive ones with a rubber/silicone sealing washer. In theory should provide a slightly more snug /secure fit into the door panel.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

B388 Matthew
80-90 Mem No: 17094

Post by B388 Matthew »

ash1293 wrote:Mine have also arrived - although very happy for what I intend there are a couple of points of note for others.

1) Excellent packing for courier delivery - first class.

2) Mine arrived with some very slight water staining and cards have slight bow - now laid flat and will be fine for covering as I intend.

3) *IF* you intend to just varnish and leave 'bare wood' if may be worth stating that when you order as mine are slightly diferent colours of plywood. Again not an issue for me.

Overall I would definitely recommend over the MDF options out there.

As for clips I ahve ordered up some slightly more expensive ones with a rubber/silicone sealing washer. In theory should provide a slightly more snug /secure fit into the door panel.

Hello mate,

Do you have a link to which clips/type you used, also how did you get on with them? I'm going to carpet lining the panels so ideally after the "invisible" style clips. However I have 7mm holes on the van. I'm looking at either the "fir tree" style or as said the invisible ones off ebay but just wondering which you used.

Many Thanks

ash1293

New card doors - Plywood, varnish and PVA

Post by ash1293 »

Sorry, don’t have a link for the clips, in the end the silicone washers didn’t work so fitted without. So just order up some good quality original style.

You can just make out the back of the clips through vinyl. A couple of ways around this would be to fit the clips to the board first and tape over the heads. Or you could try a thin layer of foam to slightly pad.

I can live with it for now and I imagine over time I will forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tickover
80-90 Mem No: 11364

Post by tickover »

Hi
The original ebay link doesnt work and i would like to get some, do you have the sellers name /link ?

cheers

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

For the door cards?

https://www.customshopdesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T25boy71
80-90 Mem No: 16913

Post by T25boy71 »

I got the door cards well a complete set apart from behind my cupboards and they where a  poor fits had to sand the edges a lot to fit also sent the wrong sliding door card I have a 88 van and they sent a pre 85 one they will send me the 88 panel but want £35 to sent ended up make it myself 
Vw T25 1.9 TD Z1 hightop rusty but Less rusty than when I got it. lol: 😊

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

I have always remade door cards with hardboard as in almost all cases that was what the original design uses. Assuming you have proper plastic moisture sheets on the door you shouldn't really have a damp problem. It is cheap and easy to work with too! And remember that most vans/cars with knackered door cards are over 30 years old and have had water leaks. If it is done properly they should last for years.

I have an old TVR which has door cards made of moulded fiberglass. Now that is the real way to go!!! Last forever! :D :D :D