Door card restoration

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Door card restoration

Post by itchyfeet »

Now here

https://itchyfeetuk.wordpress.com/t3-door-card-repair/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by itchyfeet on 24 Mar 2020, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Door card restoration

Post by Cecil »

Well done finding a way to repair rather than replace,l think it’s best to keep original style door cards. Any thing else looks like the old ones got so ropey that it was necessary to make replacements with whatever was available. Mine don’t have speaker holes or rot but are warped in that area and I have contemplated soaking them and holding them flat while drying them but worry that I may make them worse.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Cecil wrote: I have contemplated soaking them and holding them flat while drying them but worry that I may make them worse.
yes that works, I did that also but forgot to mention it, laid flat some water, not too much then put bricks on over night. Warped means that have got wet though.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

yes that works, I did that also but forgot to mention it, laid flat some water, not too much then put bricks on over night

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. Another job to put on my” to do” list!

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Looks great. I'm hoping to fit some 5 inch speakers in the cab door. How are you finding the sound and what material and mm depth did you use for the spacers? Are the spacers just screwed into the (new) door card section or did you add something behind it? Cheers, John
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

mariner wrote:Looks great. I'm hoping to fit some 5 inch speakers in the cab door. How are you finding the sound and what material and mm depth did you use for the spacers? Are the spacers just screwed into the (new) door card section or did you add something behind it? Cheers, John

12mm mdf as it cuts nicely, I used M4 screws right through with nuts on the back and cut to length but only becuse I had them you could use screws from rear into spacers and screws from speakers into spacers.

5 inch speakers are better than 4 inch for sound but not as good as 6 inch, it's just physics can't do much about that except perhaps buy better speakers, these are cheapies at 20 quid
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

itchyfeet wrote:
mariner wrote:Looks great. I'm hoping to fit some 5 inch speakers in the cab door. How are you finding the sound and what material and mm depth did you use for the spacers? Are the spacers just screwed into the (new) door card section or did you add something behind it? Cheers, John

12mm mdf as it cuts nicely, I used M4 screws right through with nuts on the back and cut to length but only becuse I had them you could use screws from rear into spacers and screws from speakers into spacers.

5 inch speakers are better than 4 inch for sound but not as good as 6 inch, it's just physics can't do much about that except perhaps buy better speakers, these are cheapies at 20 quid

Cheers, all helpful to know. Just need to get round to doing it now!
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Did you clear the drain holes and wax the inside cavity whilst you were in there?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Just_Kitt
80-90 Mem No: 16672

Post by Just_Kitt »

I have a similar issue and am considering replacing the whole cards as I have found some mould and I am worried about black mould spores and my health when sleeping in the van... I stay in mine for months at a time. Did you find any mould on yours? and if so did you treat the old cards with any thing to stop this?
GokVan: 1990 LHD, Pop-Top, Golf GTI 2.0L engine running duel Petrol and LPG.
Instagram: @Gok_Van

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Just_Kitt wrote:I have a similar issue and am considering replacing the whole cards as I have found some mould and I am worried about black mould spores and my health when sleeping in the van... I stay in mine for months at a time. Did you find any mould on yours? and if so did you treat the old cards with any thing to stop this?

yacht varnish will seal in and kill mould. or use bleach sprayed in a water sprayer.
if you are worried you neeed to remove every panel because it can form everywhere if you don't ventilate enough.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks