T25 Panel Van Window Conversion

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

poofit
80-90 Mem No: 0

T25 Panel Van Window Conversion

Post by poofit »

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while on here whilst I find the right van! I've just picked up a VW T25 1984 panel van and have intentions of turning it into a self-built camper. However, I'm having trouble understanding the window situation. Does anyone know the best way about putting windows in the van or know of any places to get windows or seals for it?

Any information would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: T25 Panel Van Window Conversion

Post by davidoft1 »

You need panel van conversion seals, I’ll find a link, I’m pretty sure I have a set of panel van glass, I definitely have a louvred one , you basically just cut a hole with a jig saw

poofit

Post by poofit »

davidoft1 wrote:You need panel van conversion seals, I’ll find a link, I’m pretty sure I have a set of panel van glass, I definitely have a louvred one , you basically just cut a hole with a jig saw

Oh thank you! Please let me know! There's not a whole lot of info on the panel vans :P

LaSham

Post by LaSham »

Hey, and hello to all actually as I think this may be my first post! anyways I don't know if you got round to cutting the windows yet but I thought i'd just throw in my 2 cents in as even though I've only just done my first couple of windows and it is quite a straight forward job, I did just spent the day welding in an extra patch to one of the windows on the van I just bought recently as the previous owner had guessed where to cut and wound up placing the window over the middle pillar. This meant the glass was sticking out at the top and bottom and letting water in, sorry its hard to describe it in writing but what i'm getting at is make sure to measure from the inside! drill a guide hole so you know where you are cutting when on the outside. Also make a template out of cardboard, which will make it far easier to mark on the curved metal, and when making the template remember you have 6.5mm on either side as well if you are using the standard camper seals from sealsdirect (5mm x 1.6mm x 6.5mm), and you'll find you might need to cut a little bit extra that will help with fitment.

There might be some info on the wiki, not sure, but I also had a bit of trouble finding info before I went at it, I'm sure all of this will be obvious to most but the previous owner of my van didn't seem to pick up on a few simple but easily missed things like which way to put in the glass, so here for anyone else who might come across it this is how I went at it, could be wrong but it came out alright!

make template - either same size as window pane or including the extra few mills, just remember, much easier to take away than to put back!

drill guide holes from inside so you know where you are cutting, I just did one in each corner

I also had one of those vents as well, I drilled out the welds on it

spray glue onto one corner of the template, position then do another corner when you have it right - just be thinking about where you are going to be cutting, double and triple check everything

I cut with a thin disc on a grinder, but i'm replacing most stuff so the grinding dust didn't bother me, jigsaw is probably the better option, I just found it a pain to use!

when I had it cut out I used a flap disc to finish off the corners and tidy up the edges, I dressed the edges with a file as well to take off any sharp bits

mark out the seal around the glass first

do a dry fit, fix if necessary, use a measuring tape to take out the guess work, double check the length of the seal, then when you're happy cut the seal and then paint the bare metal with a suitable metal treatment, I had used rustoleum on a previous window fix job but it took aaaaaages to go off so I wouldn't recommend unless you have the time

* if using curved glass make sure its the right way around! * little clue is the e-mark circle type thing in the corner, should be right side up and facing out, you can put a ruler or straight edge of some sort over it and you'll see the curve - its not much but on my van the pane's being the wrong way around was enough to create an entry point for water to get in behind the seal easily

when that's dry enough to work (realistically overnight) I ran a tiny bead of silicone sealant along the top edge of the metal

fit the window and then again run a thin bead of silicone under the seal all the way around

Its definitely worth getting a glazing tool for the filler strip

after you place the fixing strip in, there will be a bit of excess you'll need to clean away - make sure to do this asap! its a pain otherwise

seal direct have a video showing how to use the glazing tool and how to install the seal, the hardest bit I found was getting the hole cut right however, just be patient with it, measure, double check etc, don't grind in anger! - easier to take away, can put it back but it's an unnecessary pain!

might help someone, never know!

skinnycat
80-90 Mem No: 14695

Post by skinnycat »

Do you use the standard van windows for this kind of conversion. My 87 T25 has 30+ year old Parapress plastic windows that are smaller than the standard glass and I'd like to fit proper glass windows into it.

Also, what does it look like on the inside of the van where you cut the window holes? The inside of mind has been butchered a little for the Parapress ones.

Cdm181070
80-90 Mem No: 17330

Post by Cdm181070 »

Hi, my panel van was fitted with flat laminated windows. I have sourced some curved glass. I am mid restoration at the moment so can grind and weld and it doesn’t matter. Is it worth resizing the window hole that has been already cut to accommodate the curved glass? Or would you not bother if the hole is too big? Cheers