tailgate wont shut properly

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tee3peeo
80-90 Mem No: 13524

tailgate wont shut properly

Post by tee3peeo »

Hi, I would be grateful for advice please. I can't get the tailgate to shut. When I close it the gate just bounces back and won't latch. Push it hard or soft - it doesn't matter - still won't latch. I've had a good look at all the parts and they seem intact and working properly. I've pulled the rubber seal off in case it was fouling the latch but no improvement. The gate will shut and partially latch but it can be pulled open, even when locked.
Any solutions gratefully received,
Zeb
1985 14" DG Syncro

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: tailgate wont shut properly

Post by fazzer »

Mine does the same have to give it a good slam and a blast of wd40 inside the mechanism.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

possibly an alignment issue, the striker plate on the body can move, if it's too far into the body then the lock won't fully latch; you can loosen the bolts attaching it to the body and move it towards the rear and retighten, it also has a dadge of side to side adjustment; you know of course that the lock must be in the open position when it attempts to latch, if it is already closed then it just bounces off the striker plate

tee3peeo

Post by tee3peeo »

many thanks Aidan, I assumed the plate was fixed. Thanks too Fazzer - I tried copious oil
:-)
1985 14" DG Syncro

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Post by Troopy »

I had the same problem a while ago and assumed it was the door, but as above a bit of adjustment on the locking plate and all good :D
1987 1.6 TD

tee3peeo

Post by tee3peeo »

thanks Troopy :-)
1985 14" DG Syncro

tee3peeo

Post by tee3peeo »

hmmm - still can't get this to work properly. Moved the striker plate inwards, worse and outwards better. Moved towards o/s worse and n/s better. But - it still wont move the locking part far enough to latch. I can push it to latch with my finger and when in latch position it locks. Pushing the tailgate shut wont get it to latch successfully. Any thoughts??

cheers Zeb
1985 14" DG Syncro

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

tee3peeo wrote:hmmm - still can't get this to work properly. Moved the striker plate inwards, worse and outwards better. Moved towards o/s worse and n/s better. But - it still wont move the locking part far enough to latch. I can push it to latch with my finger and when in latch position it locks. Pushing the tailgate shut wont get it to latch successfully. Any thoughts??

cheers Zeb

Did it used to work?
What has changed ?
Are the top hinges loose or moved ?
Has the rubber seal come unseated ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Troopy
80-90 Mem No: 13711

Post by Troopy »

Didn't have to do this on mine, but by any chance is there a similar small amount of movement in the lock position as in the plate?
1987 1.6 TD

dunxd
80-90 Mem No: 17013

Post by dunxd »

Did you manage to fix this? Facing the same problem myself which has gradually worsened over the last six months. All screws on the latch and hinges are super tight (I can't budge them with the tools I have without damaging the screw heards) and there is no movement on anything.

To get the lock to engage I have to close it till it half catches then push really hard against the lock area and eventually it seems to catch properly - but this is getting harder to do.
--
Dunx
1985 T25 Westfalia Club Joker