Window rot

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Window rot

Post by Theclash »

Having the rot at bottom of window repaired the windscreen is out everything has been repaired but there is a small hole on the left and right bottom of the frame just after the curve the guy doing the work thinks they are factory drain holes is this right or should the whole windscreen frame be one solid piece

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Window rot

Post by multisi »

No drain holes, any hole would mean water getting inside the cab area ! which would find its way down and under the mat/carpet and eventually start a nasty bit of rust. Be careful with that body shop man - he is talking rubbish !
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Thanks multisi to be fair to the Bodyshop man he wasn't sure so asked me but I also wasn't sure I will be going back to his unit Monday and get him to weld them up

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Unfortunately a rotten windscreen lip can be months away from a holey rotten front panel. This is why I quietly roll my eyes when I see people trying to cure leaks in this area with sealant, tape and even rubber strips. As long as you catch it in time the cost is reasonable. The cause is common to all but not everyone will accept/believe it. Hopefully your troubles will be over now.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Your right covkid I will get him weld it up and put new seal in with mastic for good measure it was just odd that they were rotted in same places

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Would HIGHLY recommend mastic. Purists will say "not needed as VW didn't use it". After nearly 30 years owning almost all of the v-dub models, I've seen too much rot around windows. In practice, you want the water to find no route to that area ever again. Its bad enough having to do the job once, revisiting it is not something you want to be doing in the future. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Theclash wrote:Thanks multisi to be fair to the Bodyshop man he wasn't sure so asked me but I also wasn't sure I will be going back to his unit Monday and get him to weld them up
Not an unreasonable assumption most vehicles do have drain holes, just not these for the reason above.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Just a quick update to this post been back to Bodyshop today and he's going to weld the holes up new screen seal ordered from brickwerks and window sealant ordered big thanks to all you guys for your knowledge and help

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Theclash wrote:Just a quick update to this post been back to Bodyshop today and he's going to weld the holes up new screen seal ordered from brickwerks and window sealant ordered big thanks to all you guys for your knowledge and help

Make sure the mastic is a non-setting butyl based one, I. E it doesn't dry out or you will be back to square one :)

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Got that I made sure before ordering